Vevo announced on Thursday it will “phase out elements” of its owned and operated platforms — meaning its mobile apps and consumer website — and shift the company’s focus toward growing current and future partnerships.
A spokesperson told Billboard the Vevo website and apps for iOS and Android will be phased out over the coming weeks, with users being sent reminders to transfer their playlists next week. The company’s corporate website stays, however.
“Going forward, Vevo will remain focused on engaging the biggest audiences and pursuing growth opportunities,” according to a blog post on the news. “Our catalog of premium music videos and original content will continue to reach a growing audience on YouTube and we are exploring ways to work with additional platforms to further expand access to Vevo’s content.”
Co-owned by a coalition of major record labels and tech companies, Vevo said it will continue to sell all Vevo-specific advertising across the distribution platforms it works with. The company also made clear that original programming — including the dscvr and LIFT emerging artist programs, along with upcoming projects — will continue, just not on Vevo-branded properties.
“Connecting artists to new audiences, while helping tell their stories, and growing an advertising-based revenue stream that benefits all of our partners, are key considerations that drive how we develop and adapt our business,” the blog post stated. “Belief in the power of the music videos will always remain at Vevo’s core.”
Earlier this year it was reported that Vevo broke even in 2017, thanks to a 30 percent jump in revenue. Former CEO Erik Huggers, who departed in December, was credited with leading the company’s efforts to at least partially un-tether itself from YouTube, in the form of homegrown mobile apps, a redesigned web portal and a proposed — but scuttled — subscription service.