Skip to main content

One Fan Dies and Two Injured During Falls at San Francisco Phish Show

One man died and two other people were injured in separate incidents at a Sunday night (Oct. 17) Phish show in San Francisco.

One man died and two others were injured during a Phish show at Chase Center in San Francisco on Sunday (Oct. 17). A spokesperson for the San Francisco Police Department confirmed that SFPD responded to reports that an adult male had suffered injuries from a fall around 9 p.m. local time, with medics determining that the man had died from his injuries.

“Officers arrived to the area and observed an adult male who was suffering from injuries caused by a possible fall,” read the statement. “Officers immediately rendered aid and summoned medics to the scene. Medics arrived and immediately provided medical treatment, but despite the efforts of the emergency responders the victim succumbed to his injuries and was declared deceased.”

No foul play was suspected in the incident, which was followed less than an hour later by a report that another adult male had suffered from injuries caused by an unrelated fall. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the man was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries; he fell onto another man who was also injured and transported to a hospital.


“Two guests attending last Sunday’s concert were seriously injured. The San Francisco Medical Examiner’s Officer has informed us that, sadly, one of the individuals has passed away,” a Golden State Warriors/Chase Center spokesperson tells Billboard in a statement. “We extend our heartfelt condolences to the guest’s loved ones. We are working with the local authorities to determine exactly what happened, and will defer questions about the incident to the San Francisco Police Department.”

The statement noted that the San Francisco Medical Examiner’s Office had confirmed the death. At press time a spokesperson for Phish had no official comment and the band did not appear to have posted a statement on their socials.

“There was all this scrambling of medical authorities and cops,” fan Chris Lotterer told the Mercury News. “I looked over and saw this guy being (worked on) by the medics. It was like 10 rows behind us. The show went on, and the whole time we were just thinking that we hoped he was all right.”

The show was the second of a two-night run that began on Saturday night and was just the third show on the band’s current fall tour, which kicked off on Oct. 15 with ah show at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. The next scheduled date on the outing is slated to take place on Tuesday night (Oct. 19) at the Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Oregon.