Eric Clapton says he will not play any live shows that require attendees to show proof that they’ve received the COVID-19 vaccine.
The 76-year-old artist, who feared he would “never play again” after receiving both doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, made his statement after U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson held a press conference on Monday and stated, “We’re planning to make full vaccination the condition of entry to nightclubs and other venues where large crowds gather” by the end of September in England, where 35% of 18- to 30-year-olds have not had their first shot. Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said that nightclubs can be classified as “potential super spreading events” because of attendees being in close contact.
Italian architect and film producer Robin Monotti Graziadei shared Clapton’s announcement on the Telegram messaging app.
“Following the PM’s announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021 I feel honour bound to make an announcement of my own: I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present,” the message read, which was signed off by Eric Clapton. “Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show.”
The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer made his thoughts about COVID loud and clear last year with his anti-lockdown track “Stand and Deliver” with Van Morrison, which he wrote in an earlier Telegram message is “when I found my voice, and even though I was singing his words, they echoed in my heart.”