Skip to main content

Childish Gambino’s ‘This Is America’ Jumps to No. 1 on On-Demand Streaming Songs Chart

The song also spends a second week atop Streaming Songs.

Childish Gambino earns his first week at No. 1 on Billboard’s On-Demand Streaming Songs chart, ruling the May 26-dated ranking with “This Is America” as its greatest gainer.

“America” jumps 3-1 in its second week on the chart, with 26.7 million on-demand audio streams earned in the week ending May 17 — its first full seven days of tracking — according to Nielsen Music. That’s up 27 percent as compared to the previous frame (ending May 10), when it tallied 21 million from five days of activity (the tune premiered late on May 5).


“America” takes over the No. 1 spot from Drake’s “Nice for What,” which has ruled the chart for four nonconsecutive weeks.

The song already marked Gambino’s first foray into the top 10 of On-Demand Streaming Songs, after his earlier hit “Redbone” peaked at No. 11 (July 1, 2017; 10.8 million on-demand audio streams).

“America” concurrently spends its second week atop Streaming Songs, increasing in overall domestic streams to 69.6 million total, up 7 percent. A total of 61 percent of the song’s overall streams come from video views (down from 68 percent in its release week).

It also rules the Billboard Hot 100 for a second week and continues its ascent at radio, jumping 30-18 on R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay, 24-13 on Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop and 20-11 on Rap Airplay while debuting at No. 30 on Rhythmic Songs. It’s also bubbling under the Alternative Songs chart.