Avril Lavigne and Nickelback frontman Chad Kroeger are engaged, joining the ranks of celebrity couples that sell out stadiums and top the charts each year. See which other duos have become the most powerful pairs in music.
Pop stars need love too, and sometimes they look no further than the Billboard charts to find their perfect pairing. Each of these real-life musical matches – ranging from country icons to R&B royalty – is a powerful pair in its own right; but which team is the greatest sum of its individual parts? Check out the *ranked list and see which romantic team takes the crown as music’s most best-selling couple.
*Couples were ranked based on the pair’s combined U.S. album sales from 1991-present, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Pop stars need love too, and sometimes they look no further than the Billboard charts to find their perfect pairing. Each of these real-life musical matches – ranging from country icons to R&B royalty – is a powerful pair in its own right; but which team is the greatest sum of its individual parts? Check out the *ranked list and see which romantic team takes the crown as music’s most best-selling couple.*Couples were ranked based on the pair’s combined U.S. album sales from 1991-present, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
10. BLAKE SHELTON & MIRANDA LAMBERT The country artists have only gotten more universally beloved since marrying in May 2011: Shelton has used his stint on “The Voice” and hits like “Honey Bee” to forge a bigger mainstream profile, while Lambert continued to be a critics’ darling with new solo disc “Four The Record” and the debut Pistol Annies album “Hell on Heels.” Combined, their album sales total an impressive 10.8 million copies sold.
9. Chris Brown & RihannaThink what you will about Rih Rih and Breezy’s controversial relationship, but there’s no doubt the duo make up one of R&B’s most powerful pairs. Rihanna’s seven studio albums – including her latest chart-topper ‘Unapologetic’ – have racked up 9.4 million in sales, while Chris’ six albums have sold 5.9 million – for an impressive total of 15.3 million albums.
8. Katy Perry & John MayerIt didn’t take long for Katy Perry to dry the tears from her breakup with Russell Brand and fall into the arms of pop-rock bad boy John Mayer. While Katy stands out as the pair’s more recent chart-topper (with album sales totaling 4.2 million), Mayer wears the Soundscan pants in the relationship with 14 million albums sold over his five solo albums. Together, Katy and John sit atop a heap of 18.2 million albums between them.
7. ALICIA KEYS & SWIZZ BEATZ The R&B songstress and her producer husband were married in Corsica in July 2010, but their respective careers had been impressively established long before that. Keys immediately became a star with debut disc “Songs in A Minor” in 2001, and has gone on to release four more best-selling albums; Swizz Beatz, meanwhile, has helmed hits for a large fraction of the hip-hop universe, from Jay-Z to DMX to T.I., while releasing solo material in between business ventures. Still, Keys has the bragging rights in the relationship, moving 18 million total albums to Swizz’s 400,000.
6. GWEN STEFANI & GAVIN ROSSDALE One of the longest-lasting couples in pop music, No Doubt leader Gwen Stefani and Bush frontman Gavin Rossdale married in 2002 after meeting in 1995. Between the output of their rock groups and their solo material (Gwen has two full-lengths under her own name to Gavin’s one album), the couple has amassed 33 million albums sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
5.CHAD KROEGER & AVRIL LAVIGNE After a marriage to Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley ended in 2009, Avril Lavigne began a budding relationship with Nickelback frontman Chad Kroeger, and the pair announced their engagement in August 2012. Both artists released albums in 2011 — Lavigne issued her fourth full-length, “Goodbye Lullaby,” while Kroeger’s crew dropped “Here and Now” last fall — and brought their cumulative sales to 34.4 million copies sold. Not a bad nest egg for the new couple!
4. MARIAH CAREY & NICK CANNON Since beginning his career on Nickelodeon, Nick Cannon has forged a successful (if sporadic) musical career, highlighted by his 2003 self-titled solo debut. However, the 31-year-old’s sales cannot hold a candle to that of his 42-year-old wife, Mariah Carey, who has spent over two decades pushing the boundaries of mainstream R&B and looks to do so again with her upcoming studio effort. The happy couple has moved a combined 53.6 million copies.
3. TIM McGRAW & FAITH HILL The careers of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have proven as durable as their nearly 16-year marriage: both country stars continue headlining blockbuster tours and adding to their list of hit singles and albums. McGraw recently dropped his 12th studio album ‘Two Lanes of Freedom,’ while Hill plans to drop her 8th album ‘Illusion’ later this year. Thus far, Hill and McGraw have moved 61.3 million albums combined.
2. JAY-Z & BEYONCE Aside from massively successful collaborations like “Crazy in Love,” “Deja Vu” and “03 Bonnie and Clyde,” the shining couple of the hip-hop world recently collaborated on a baby girl, Blue Ivy Carter, after marrying in 2008. Hov and Bey have released a whopping 15 studio albums combined as solo artists and 10 more collaborative albums (or, in Beyonce’s case, Destiny’s Child albums), bringing their total sales to 64.1 million copies sold.
1. GARTH BROOKS & TRISHA YEARWOOD Tim & Faith, and Blake & Miranda, may have established themselves as country power couples, but neither pair can lay claim to the sales crown of Garth and Trisha, who were married in December 2005. Between the massive haul of Brooks’ nine studio albums and the output of his second wife, the pair has sold a whopping 78.9 million albums — imagine how many more they would have sold if Brooks hadn’t gone on a recording hiatus beginning in 2001!