Back on Sept. 28, 2014, a star-studded cast of musicians came together at Los Angeles’ Fonda Theater to pay tribute to the late George Harrison. The end result was two discs’ worth of collaborative covers, finally set for release on Feb. 26, the day after what would have been his 73rd birthday.
Before George Fest: A Night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison hits stores in CD/DVD form via Hot Records Ltd. and Vagrant, we’ve got a preview of what the video portion has in store. Below, watch “Weird Al” Yankovic, the Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne, the Killers’ Brandon Flowers, Spoon’s Britt Daniel, and more cover “Handle With Care,” the 1988 track Harrison wrote along with the supergroup the Traveling Wilburys.
The DVDs also contain backstage interviews, featuring the musicians discussing Harrison’s influence on their own work.
The collection contains covers from numerous others, including George’s son, Dhani Harrison. “I’ve always imagined a small club show where my generation of musicians could cut loose on some of the deeper tracks from his career,” he says, speaking on the show he co-produced alongside David Zonshine. “So, in a totally new and vibrant way, I once again found myself taking the stage with some of my most treasured musical heroes to the sound of the most familiar music in my life… They are some of the best interpretations of my father’s songs I could have ever thought possible.”
Below, check out the official trailer, along with a track listing.
2. Old Brown Shoe (Conan O’Brien)
3. I Me Mine (Britt Daniel from Spoon)
4. Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) (Jonathan Bates with Dhani Harrison)
5. Something (Norah Jones)
6. Got My Mind Set On You (Brandon Flowers from the Killers)
7. If Not For You (Heartless Bastards)
8. Be Here Now (Ian Astbury from The Cult)
9. Wah-Wah (Nick Valensi from The Strokes)
10. If I Needed Someone (Jamestown Revival)
11. Art of Dying (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)
12. Savoy Truffle (Dhani Harrison)
13. For You Blue (Chase Cohl with Weezer’s Brian Bell on guitar)
14. Beware Of Darkness (Ann Wilson from Heart)
1. Let It Down (Dhani Harrison)
2. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (Ben Harper)
3. Here Comes The Sun (Perry Farrell from Jane’s Addiction)
4. What Is Life (“Weird Al” Yankovic)
5. Behind That Locked Door (Norah Jones)
6. My Sweet Lord (Brian Wilson with Al Jardine)
7. Isn’t It A Pity (The Black Ryder)
8. Any Road (Butch Walker)
9. I’d Have You Anytime (Karen Elson)
10. Taxman (Cold War Kids)
11. It’s All Too Much (The Flaming Lips)
12. Handle With Care (Brandon Flowers, Dhani Harrison, Jonathan Bates, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Britt Daniel and Wayne Coyne)
13. All Things Must Pass (Ann Wilson, Dhani Harrison, Karen Elson and Norah Jones)