Details of the case surrounding YNW Melly’s eerie double murder charges continue to leak out, as authorities have pegged him as the alleged gunman in the October fatal shootings of his two “best friends” Christopher “Juvy” Thomas Jr. and Anthony “Sak” Williams. With Melly, born Jamell Demons, remaining in prison, Billboard confirmed that the YNW frontman has pleaded not guilty to both counts of first-degree murder.
“Mr. Demons entered a plea of not guilty. The co-defendant, Mr. Henry, did not come to court. He’s jail, but he did not come to his court appearance, so his court arraignment has been rescheduled for Monday,” says Paula Mcmahon, the spokeswoman for the Broward State Attorney’s Office.
The 19-year-old was originally arrested back on Feb. 13, when the Miramar Police Department in Florida confirmed that Melly and Cortlen “YNW Bortlen” Henry, his alleged accomplice in carrying out the murders, had both been brought into custody. Law enforcement released a statement concluding that forensic evidence taken from the crime scene led them to believe “Demons shot and killed Williams & Thomas Jr. and that Demons and Henry staged the crime scene to resemble a drive-by shooting.”
Court documents obtained by Billboard late last month (Feb. 27) found autopsy results disputing previously given statements by Melly and Henry as to what happened the night of the murders. Cops also said that the duo in question drove the bodies around in a Jeep Compass for “a period of time” trying to get their story straight before bringing Thomas Jr. and Williams to Miramar Memorial Hospital at 4:35 a.m. ET, where they were pronounced dead.
YNW Melly has since been denied bond and is currently behind bars in Broward County Jail awaiting trial for the case to begin. His controversial “Murder On My Mind” track, which law enforcement has used against him in court in the past, has skyrocketed to No. 15 on this week’s Hot 100.
Billboard has reached out to 300 Entertainment and YNW Melly’s lawyer for comment.