For the last month, Meek’s team of lawyers filed appeals to have him freed on bail and also requested that Common Pleas Judge Genece Brinkley recuse herself from the case. According to NBC Philadelphia, Brinkley’s decision to deny Meek’s bail stems from her belief that he’s a “danger to the community” and a flight risk.
In a statement to Billboard, Meek’s attorney, Joe Tacopina says: “We are very disappointed with Judge Brinkley’s decision to deny Mr. Williams bail, which continues her long pattern of unfair treatment of him.”
He adds: “As stated on multiple occasions, he has never missed a previous court date in this case and poses absolutely no threat to the community, which makes him an ideal candidate for bail – a conclusion the Commonwealth did not oppose. We intend to immediately appeal this decision, so Mr. Williams can be released from prison on bail while we continue to work to overturn this wrongful and unjust sentence.”
Last month, the Wins and Losses MC was sentenced two to four years after he violated his probation stemming from a 2008 gun and drugs charge. Since Brinkley’s ruling, the hip-hop community has publicly denounced her decision, voicing their support towards the embattled rapper.
This past Saturday (Dec. 2), JAY-Z defended Meek during his Philly stop on his 4:44 Tour. “When you see a young man who’s been on probation 11 fucking years since he was 19-years-old, that man is being stomped by the system,” he said.