You may not be familiar with the name Sam Setton, but it’s one you should keep in your memory — because it’s one you could be hearing a lot more in the near future.
While the New York City born-and-raised singer-songwriter began writing and recording music as a teenager, only recently did the 24-year-old begin making music for others to hear. His moody electro-pop music is the result of experimenting with new sounds, and, well, hoping to catch the attention of an ex-girlfriend with a poignant song.
“‘Renegade’ tells the story of how my most meaningful — and most recent — relationship ended,” Setton tells Billboard of the EP. “Throughout each of the five tracks, I touch on different points in the relationship, from when I realized I was in love, up until our relationship is over and she’s with someone else. The name ‘Renegade’ is sort of a dual play on the word’s meaning, in that the renegade in our relationship can be attributed to both me and my ex-girlfriend in how we both betrayed each other in different ways.”
After Setton released his debut single “Berlin” last summer and seeing a promising reaction to that and subsequent releases “Stranger” and “My City,” the singer is ready for the world to hear more with his debut EP, Renegade. The five-track record is set to be released Friday (June 23), but Billboard is premiering the EP on the eve of the release.
Setton’s electronic-infused production combined with his sensual vocals create quite the smooth vibes that are perfect for a summer soundtrack. Take a listen to Setton’s EP and check out the stories behind each song below.
1. “Luv U Right” — This song is about the feeling I had when I realized I was in love, but at the same time conflicted, because I’m not sure she realizes it and if she’s ready or not. I’m asking her to let me in, and letting her know I’m the one for her… I wrote this song in hopes it can be an anthem for people who think they aren’t valued enough in the eyes of their lovers.
2. “Berlin” — I wrote this one about a time in our relationship when we were fighting almost everyday and I was conflicted on whether or not to be patient and work things out, or to end the relationship.
3. “My City” — A turning point within the EP where I’m more focused on myself and what I want.
4. “Stranger” — Our relationship has finally come to an end and I’m addressing how I’m not OK with the fact that we’re now strangers to each other, and I’m trying to fight for us and get her back.
5. “Renegade” — [This] is actually my favorite song on the EP and of course the title track for a reason. Quite simply, this song about the first time I saw my ex with someone else.