Early morning, Britney Spears woke up and shared a very important message with the world:
This is a story about a music video called #Lucky that turned 15 today! https://t.co/LO1ihbhlyv
— Britney Spears (@britneyspears) July 14, 2015
Besides being one of the pop princesses great ballads (at the time, Billboard wrote of the tune, “It has everything in hand to radiate across summer airwaves for months,”) the song, off Oops…I Did It Again, gained additional significance in the years since its release for what fans took to be her ahead-of-their-time confessions that all that glitters isn’t gold.
In honor of the anniversary, re-watch the cheesy-but-perfect music video above, and then ponder these very serious discussion points.
1. “I hate it when celebrities talk about how ‘depressing’ their lives are,” Spears explained in the Making The Video episode for “Lucky.” “I wouldn’t change my life for anything; I’m so happy with what I’m doing, but I’m human. I’m sad sometimes, just like everybody else out there.”
2. Quiz question: Can you name the movie that Lucky is starring in?
(It’s Top of the World — which is no Crossroads 2: Cross Harder, but it’ll do.)
3. Show of hands if you spent way too much of the year 2000 trying to get your hair to look like this when in reality you looked like a millennial Carol Brady.
4. “It’s the most amazing thing in the world when you’re able to touch people with your songs,” Spears explained at the time about her feelings about the “mature” sound of “Lucky.” “When they know all the words to your songs. At the same time, it’s a humbling experience. It’s like, ‘Oh my gosh, wow. It feels really nice. It’s all really, really nice.”
5. This is undoubtedly one of the high points of Britney Spears’ career — a fact that is fully on display in her current Las Vegas show. The hushed silence of the crowd once she begins speaks to the intense nostalgia people feel for remembering the first time the pop princess let us inside, just for a moment, her crazy, crazy world