Cheap Trick shows the world what the word legendary is all about by capturing our Coolest Song in the World This Week with “If It Takes a Lifetime.”
The new album, “Rockford,” is out this week. Some of you are digging “Perfect Stranger,” which is great because there are five songs that are even better: “…Lifetime,” “Dream the Night Away,” “Come On Come On Come On,” “Give It Away” and “Welcome to the World.”
Happily, it’s still the original four East Side Kids: Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Tom Petersson and Bun E. Carlos. From now on, they’ve got to record more than two albums every 10 years. There’s a whole generation of kids waiting to see and hear the real thing.
And the same goes for Joan Jett, who also drops some wax this week. More on that next time.
What is it lately? Open season on minstrels?
In addition to the MC5’s Michael Davis’ motorcycle crash and Keith Richards laid up, Kaiser Chiefs frontman Ricky Wilson came very close to the big sleep courtesy of a hit-and-run driver.
The car would have run Wilson over if he hadn’t been in touring shape. He jumped up and bounced off the car’s windshield and roof, miraculously ending up with just a broken toe and some bruises. No Chiefs shows will be canceled. They’ll open for the Stones as soon as Keith recovers from the attack of the Killer Coconuts.
Apparently, Mick Jagger really is in negotiations with ABC to play himself getting robbed in a sitcom. Sounds a bit “King of Comedy” with Jagger in the Jerry Lewis role. Definitely looking forward to that one. If we knew he wanted to do TV, he could have done a special guest hit on “The Sopranos” or played one of the Kray brothers’ cousins over to borrow a cup of olive oil and a penne arrabiata.
COOLEST GARAGE SONGS
1. “If It Takes a Lifetime,” Cheap Trick
2. “After the Garden,” Neil Young
3. “Are You Ready For It?” the Holograms
4. “Everyone Knows,” Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
5. “Nothing Terribly New,” the Hellacopters
6. “Hands,” the Raconteurs
7. “World Wide Suicide,” Pearl Jam
8. “Steady, As She Goes,” the Raconteurs
9. “I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor,” Arctic Monkeys
10. “Wish I Never Loved You,” Buzzcocks
COOLEST GARAGE ALBUMS
1. “Broken Boy Soldiers,” the Raconteurs
2. “Pearl Jam,” Pearl Jam
3. “Living With War,” Neil Young
4. “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not,” Arctic Monkeys
5. “First Impressions of Earth,” the Strokes
6. “Vision Valley,” the Vines
7. “Show Your Bones,” Yeah Yeah Yeahs
8. “Flat-Pack Philosophy,” Buzzcocks
9. “Rock & Roll Is Dead,” the Hellacopters
10. “Other People’s Lives,” Ray Davies