Welcome back to Takeover Tuesday, where each week Billboard taps charting artists and tastemakers to compile their very own playlist exclusive to Billboard‘s Spotify account. We give the artists free reign to base the list on whatever subject they want and add whatever tracks they choose. The only rule? Make it as creative and unique to them as possible.
Miranda Lambert has gone from Nashville Star runner-up in 2003 to country superstar, with five hit records on the Billboard 200 in the past decade, including her No. 1 album, Platinum. She’s currently gearing up to perform across the country on her “Keeper of the Flame” tour, kicking off later this month, featuring special guests Kip Moore and Brothers Osborne. Billboard asked Lambert to share with us what it’s like being on the road by creating a playlist to soundtrack her journey.
“We log a lot of miles on the road and listen to a lot of music driving from city to city,” said Lambert. “I’m looking forward to jamming to these songs, and many others, as we drive across the country on the Keeper of the Flame Tour.”
Listen to the playlist below and check out Lambert’s thoughts on the picks in her own words.
1. Maren Morris, “I Wish I Was”: I’m a huge fan of Maren’s music. She’s a badass that’s making Texas proud.
2. Caroline Spence, “Last Call”
3. Ashley Monroe, “The Blade”: Ashley is one of my best friends and this entire album is amazing…she knows how to make you feel every word that she sings.
4. Lake Street Dive, “Side Pony”: A friend introduced me to Lake Street Dive a few months ago and they’ve been one of my go-to listens ever since.
5. Otis Redding, “These Arms of Mine”: Life is not complete without Otis in it.
6. Credence Clearwater Revival, “Up Around the Bend”: There is so much great Credence, it’s hard to pick a favorite. They stand the test of time…what a great band.
7. Eric Church, “Record Year”
8. Miranda Lambert, “Airstream Song”: My 1954 Airstream, Wanda the Wanderer, always comes with us on the road. She’s covered a lot of ground over the past few years! It’s a nice taste of home when we’re gone.
9. Brandy Clark, “Girl Next Door”
10. Keith Gattis, “Wish I Had You” Keith is a great songwriter and musician. This song and record are really deep and artistic. Sometimes you need to hear it.
11. Asleep at the Wheel, “Miles and Miles of Texas (Re-Recorded)”
12. Patty Griffin, “Getting Ready”: I covered this song on my Crazy Ex-Girlfriend record, I liked it so much. Patty is amazing. The total package of a great writer and dynamic singer.
14. Chris Knight, “Oil Patch Town”: This song basically describes my hometown of Lindale, TX (and a hundred other little towns, I’m sure). It’s about a bunch of kids with nothing to do but drive around and look for trouble.
15. Merle Haggard, “Silver Wings”: One of my many favorite Merle Haggard songs.