And that’s a wrap! SXSW 2011 ended with some surprise appearances (Diddy, Bon Iver), scary performances (DFA 1979, Trash Talk) and everything in between. Check out 10 things Billboard.com saw and overheard on the last day of the festival:
SXSW 2011 Main Page | SXSW Billboard Showcase Photos
1. Kanye West certainly knew how to bring the celebs to his VEVO show at Austin’s old power plant: the rapper was joined by Jay-Z, John Legend, Kid Cudi, Bon Iver, and Pusha T (among others) onstage, and celebrity guests at the show included Beyonce, Diddy, Aziz Ansari, Jimmy Kimmel, Asher Roth, Andy Roddick, Brooklyn Decker, Cassie, LMFAO, TV on the Radio, Oh Land, Shwayze, Danni Pudi and Donald Glover from “Community,” and De La Soul.
2. Trash cans, Budweiser tallboys and human bodies were wildly tossed through the air during Trash Talk‘s dangerous Fader Fort set.
3. ZZ Top‘s Billy Gibbons told Billboard.com that ZZ Top is recording its next album in Houston and Los Angeles, which should be out before the end of the year, while the spring will bring a ZZ Top tribute album featuring Kid Rock, Nickelback, Foo Fighters and others.
4. At the Fader Fort, Diddy and Odd Future made surprise appearance during Lil B’s set. Diddy spit a couple verses and was about to leave the stage… and then the DJ started spinning “All About the Benjamins.” The Artist Formerly Known as Puff Daddy had no choice but to oblige in a few more rhymes.
5. Diplo missed his own Mad Decent showcase because he got arrested last night. The DJ posted the news on Twitter and said, “Big apology 2 everyone that came out las night 4 @maddecent showcase I had 2 miss my slot 2 unforseeable circumstances. Promise 2 make it up,” although he did not say why he was arrested.
6. Mos Def sat side-stage and took in the soothing sounds of James Blake at Fader Fort.
7. A riot broke out at the “secret” Death From Above 1979 reunion show at the Beauty Bar Backyard, with fans who could not get into the tiny venue knocking out a fence and resisting police. Several arrests were reported, but the band waited for everyone to calm down long enough to finish their set.
8. Asher Roth and the Cool Kids wandered the crowd during Billboard’s Saturday night hip-hop showcase.
9. Bon Iver made a surprise appearance at the Fader Fort, but much to everyone’s disappointment, only played three songs.
10. Sharon Van Etten was a little weary after a long week when she took the stage on Saturday at the Central Presbyterian Church. “I’m jealous you guys get to sit down,” the singer told the crowd.
10 Things Seen & Heard At SXSW:
Wednesday | Thursday | Friday