Glasper, bassist Vicente Archer and drummer Damion Reid begin a weeklong run on Tuesday at the Village Vanguard in New York to preview music that will appear on the album.
Simultaneously, Glasper has been named an official Steinway Artist, joining a group of world-class pianists who perform exclusively on Steinway-designed pianos. Glasper joins a roster that includes Billy Joel, Lang Lang, Diana Krall, Jason Moran and Harry Connick Jr.
Glasper, Archer and Reid — who performed on Glasper’s first two Blue Note albums, Canvas in 2005 and In My Element two years later — recorded Covered at the Capitol Studios in Hollywood in December. Glaser had a hand in writing three of the 12 tracks; the others being songs by Radiohead, Joni Mitchell, John Legend, Kendrick Lamar and others.
Currently working on music for Don Cheadle’s Miles Davis film, called Miles Ahead, Glasper won his two Grammys for records by his group the Robert Glasper Experiment. Earlier this month, Glasper won the traditional R&B performance award for his cover of Stevie Wonder‘s “Jesus Children of America”; the Experiment’s 2012 album Black Radio previously won the R&B album trophy.
Covered track list:
2. “I Don’t Even Care” (Robert Glasper/Macy Gray/Jean Grae)
3. “Reckoner” (Radiohead)
4. “Barangrill” (Joni Mitchell)
5. “In Case You Forgot” (Robert Glasper)
6. “So Beautiful” (Musiq Soulchild)
7. “The Worst” (Jhené Aiko)
8. “Good Morning” (John Legend)
9. “Stella By Starlight” (Victor Young)
10. “Levels” (Bilal)
11. “Got Over” feat. Harry Belafonte (Robert Glasper/Harry Belafonte)
12. “I’m Dying of Thirst” (Kendrick Lamar)