– BMG Rights Management has launched a joint venture with veteran music industry executives Steve Backer and Michael to create One Haven Music Publishing, LLC. Backer’s background includes stints at Epic Records, Giant/Warner Brothers Records, EMI Music Publishing, and V2 while Caplan’s career includes a 20-year run at Epic Records, co-founding Or Music, and forming One Haven Music Records in partnership with The Orchard in 2009.
– EMI Music Publishing has extended its relationship with producer/songwriter Greg Kurstin, a member of indie rock duo The Bird & The Bee, which has released two albums on Blue Note.
In addition to writing for the duo’s albums, Kirstin, who signed with EMI in 2004, has written for Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield, The Flaming Lips, Kesha, Little Boots, Kylie Minogue, Sia and Donna Summer. The new long-term co-publishing deal will see EMI represent Kurstin’s existing catalog and new material on a worldwide basis.
– Performing rights organization SESAC has signed a deal to use TuneSat’s audio-recognition technology to detect performance of its reportoire in audio-visual programs playing across the New York-based company’s coverage of 110 broadcast and cable channels. “After a decade of industry attempts to streamline the process, tracking performances on TV is still a largely manual endeavor,” SESAC senior VP of strategic developoment Hunter Williams said in a statement. He added that the use of TuneSat will allow the organization to improve its process of collecting data on song performance and thereby increase the accuracy and speeding in royalty reporting and payments.
– The National Music Publishers’ Association has named U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee as the recipient of its President Award, which will be presented later this month in Washington, D.C. The award recognizes individuals who lead on issues of importance to music publishers and songwriters, and who work diligently to strengthen intellectual property protection, according to the NMPA. Sen. Alexander is co-chair of the Senate Songwriters Caucus, and sponsored legislation in 2005 that provided capital gains tax incentives for songwriters. The NMPA President’s Award is announced each year in conjunction with the organization’s annual meeting, which will be held June 16 from 4-6 p.m. at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York.
– Taylor Swift will receive the Hal David Starlight Award at the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame award dinner, which will be held June 17 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York. Past winners of the award include Rob Thomas, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, John Legend, John Rzeznik, and Jason. In addition, Phil Collins will receive the Johnny Mercer Ward and Phil Ramone will be presented with the Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award. This year’s inductees into the Songwriters Hall of Fame are: Leonard Cohen, Jackie DeShannon, David Foster, Johnny Mandel and Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White, Philip Bailey, Verdine White, Larry Dunn and Al McKay.