The remaining four members of One Direction have given their first official media interview following the departure of Zayn Malik on March 25.
Zayn Malik First Solo Music Released: Hear Naughty Boy’s ‘I Won’t Mind’ Demo
Speaking to British newspaper The Sun, 1D’s Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson discussed the optimistic future of the pop group without Malik.
“All four of us are 100 percent committed to staying in 1D,” Tomlinson told The Sun from Dubai, where One Direction performed its last concert for a couple months.
1D also addressed the difficulties of the departure of Malik, who cited stress as a reason for leaving. It has since been revealed that Malik is in the studio working solo music.
Zayn Malik Shares First Solo Song With Naughty Boy
“It’s been a tough few weeks, probably the toughest since the band was formed five years ago,” Payne said. “We’re gutted that Zayn chose to leave, but now after a few performances as a four-piece, we’re feeling confident and are determined to carry on stronger than ever.”
Styles, meanwhile, confirmed that One Direction is working on a follow-up album to last year’s Four. “It’s very exciting to be working on our fifth album,” Styles said. “It shows how incredible the fans have been. A huge thank you to them for everything they’ve done for us. All the love to them.”