Official HIGE DANdism‘s “Pretender” stays atop the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100, logging its seventh week at No. 1 on the chart dated Jan. 6 to 12, with five of those weeks continuing in succession since the end of 2019.
Streaming continues to fuel the long-running hit, with streams increasing from 6,561,501 to 6,952,025 this week, while views for the music video broke its own record again at 7,432,408 views from last week’s 6,948,726. The band also leads downloads and karaoke this week, dominating four metrics of the chart’s methodology.
Tracks by Kohaku Utagassen performers still remain in the top four slots of the Japan Hot 100, with streams for each song from No. 2 to No. 4 increasing as well, meaning these numbers are still maintaining the interest garnered through the year-end music show.
Replacing Foorin‘s “Paprika” at No. 5 — which slipped down to No. 11 this week — is King Gnu‘s “Teenager Forever,” returning to the top 10 from No. 15 due to the music video documenting each member’s vacation time being viewed 3,292,379 times after dropping Jan. 9 and triggering a mass of tweets by fans as well, at No. 18 for the metric.
The four-man band’s hit song “Hakujitsu” holds at No. 2, while other singles like “Kasa” and “Hikoutei” included in their new album CEREMONY, released this week, also shot back up the Japan Hot 100 in anticipation of its release. These songs could continue to climb in the wake of the perfectly timed drop of the breakout band’s much-awaited new studio set.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups, audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, dHits, Uta Pass and Spotify, plus karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Jan. 6 to 12)
1.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 26,337 downloads / 6,952,025 streams)
2.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 22,571 downloads / 6,314,298 streams)
3.  Machigaisagashi / Masaki Suda (none / 20,347 downloads / 4,431,965 streams)
4.  Gurenge / LiSA (3,269 copies / 23,075 downloads / 4,336,186 streams)
5.  Teenager Forever / King Gnu (none / 8,886 downloads / 3,074,804 streams)
6.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 9,039 downloads / 3,916,649 streams)
7.  Yesterday / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 5,765 downloads / 3,833,557 streams)
8. [-] Initial / Poppin’Party (27,434 copies / 6,361 downloads / none)
9.  Uma to Shika / Kenshi Yonezu (1,855 copies / 20,418 downloads / none)
10.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 6,077 downloads / 2,591,388 streams)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)