Official HIGE DANdism‘s “Pretender” continues to lead the Billboard Japan Hot 100 for the fourth week, on the chart dated Dec. 16 to 22, dominating the streaming, video views and karaoke metrics for the sixth straight week.
Figures for the long-running hit had been on the wane last week, but are seeing an uptick again this week, with downloads increasing from 13,573 to 18,534 units; streaming from 5,398,008 to 5,645,464 streams; and video views from 4,940,742 to 5,590,672 views.
J-pop superstars Arashi digitally released a remix of their eponymous debut single as “A-RA-SHI: Reborn,” which bowed at No. 2 on the Japan Hot 100, fueled mainly by downloads (No. 1). The song racked up 70,698 downloads during the three days it had during this chart week, while also coming in at No. 5 for Twitter mentions and No. 22 for streaming with 1,372,960 streams.
The song debuting at No. 3 this week is “Restart” by Mame-shiba no Taigun (which literally means “Horde of Tiny Shiba-inu”), a new girl group formed in a segment of a weekly TV variety show.
The song was written and produced by Kuro-chan, a popular comedian that people love to hate, and one of the concepts of this CD was to determine whether or not he would stay on as the group’s producer based on sales figures of the three types released: the “stay on as producer” version, the “fired” version, and the “fired and punished” version.
This absurd but entertaining project ended up selling 68,219 CDs in its first week to hit No. 1 for physical sales, and also came in at No. 10 for Twitter and No. 48 for look-ups.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups, audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, dHits, Uta Pass and Spotify, plus karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Dec. 16 to 22)
1.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 18,534 downloads / 5,645,464 streams)
2. [-] A-RA-SHI : Reborn / Arashi (none / 70,698 downloads / 1,372,960 streams)
3. [-] Restart / Mameshiba no Taigun (68,219 copies / none / none)
4.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 12,023 downloads / 4,273,542 streams)
5.  Gurenge / LiSA (2,256 copies / 20,075 downloads / 3,347,982 streams)
6.  Yesterday / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 5,773 downloads / 3,526,635 streams)
7. [-] BACK TO BACK / Da-iCE (35,445 copies / 3,609 downloads / none)
8.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 6,827 downloads / 3,409,388 streams)
9.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 6,629 downloads / 2,536,791 streams)
10. [-] Teenager Forever / King Gnu (none / 24,033 downloads / 1,649,911 streams)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)