Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke are heading to Brooklyn to perform at the MTV Video Music Awards, invading Barclays Center on Aug. 25. Neither artist has performed at the VMAs before.
Thicke and Cyrus currently occupy the top two spots on the Hot 100, so their song choices for the VMAs should come as no surprise: “Blurred Lines” for Thicke and “We Can’t Stop” for Cyrus.
MTV also announced that One Direction will make a “special appearance” and that all three artists will be up for a new socially-driven category, dubbed Best Song of the Summer Award. Fans can vote for their favorite artist/song by using a special hashtag on Twitter, Instagram or Vine. Inaugural nominees for the award are:
- Miley Cyrus (#votemiley), “We Can’t Stop
- Daft Punk (#votedaftpunk), “Get Lucky”
- Selena Gomez (#voteselena), “Come & Get It”
- Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding (#votecalvinandellie), “I Need Your Love”
- One Direction(#voteonedirection), “Best Song Ever”
- Robin Thicke (#votethicke), “Blurred Lines”
In a news release Thicke hints at “some big surprises planned” for his appearance at the VMAs. He and Cyrus are up for four Moonmen apiece, and they join previously announced performers Lady Gaga, Kanye West and Katy Perry.