One of Marilyn Manson’s former partners, known only as “Jane Doe,” on Thursday (Sept. 23) refiled a complaint against the singer for allegedly raping and torturing her in 2011. The accuser’s initial complaint was dismissed by California Superior Court Judge Gregory Keosian on Sept. 15. The judge had stated that the accuser’s claims of repressed memories were “not sufficient” to overrule the two-year statute of limitations.
In the complaint, the accuser claims that for 10 years, she repressed memories of being raped by Manson — real name Brian Warner — and only recovered the memories when she was confronted in February 2021 when other women stepped forward with accusations. While the judge stated that the claim of repressed memories “is common for sexual assault victims,” he ruled that more was needed to invoke California’s so-called “delayed-discovery” rule, which effectively postpones the start date of the statute of limitations if the plaintiff can prove that they first became aware of the injury within two years of filing their complaint, regardless of when the incident itself took place.
The judge’s Sept. 15 ruling stated that the original “complaint alleges neither when the repression began — such as immediately after the events took place, or outside the limitations period — nor its nature or extent, such as what memories were repressed or the extent to which Plaintiff was prevented from recalling them.” The judge gave her 20 days from the ruling to amend and refile her complaint.
In the revived complaint obtained by Billboard, lawyers for Jane Doe write that she cannot be exact about when her memories of assault were repressed, but that they were at least repressed by the time she traveled to Australia on July 3, 2011. The trip was roughly a week after the accuser claims Manson raped her after she came to his home to return his key and effectively end the relationship that began consensually in February 2011.
The complaint adds that following the alleged assault, Manson allegedly threatened to kill Jane Doe, and said he would “bash her head in.” It goes on to claim that he stated he would “get away with it” because he was a “celebrity who had contacts with the police.”
A spokesperson for Manson said the shock rocker has no comment on the refiled complaint.
Thursday’s filing goes on to allege that Manson kept in almost constant contact with the accuser and deprived her of food, claiming he told her “that because she was his girlfriend, she needed to lose weight because her weight embarrassed him.”
The original complaint, filed on May 28, also claims Jane Doe was forced to watch an explicit video with Manson and his bandmates allegedly harassing a young woman. (A source close to the rocker previously told Billboard that the visual was “a scripted short film shot by a crew and a famous photographer/videographer,” and that the women was an actress.)
Manson is currently being sued for sexual assault by three other women, including Game of Thrones actress and former girlfriend Esme Bianco, his former personal assistant Ashley Walters, and ex-girlfriend Ashley Morgan Smithline. The lawsuits all arrived after Manson’s former fiancee, actress Evan Rachel Wood, publicly named him as her abuser in February.
Manson has denied all accusations against him. In July, he filed to dismiss Bianco’s suit, claiming that she and the other women’s accusations were part of a “coordinated attack.”
Stories about sexual assault allegations can be traumatizing for survivors of sexual assault. If you or anyone you know needs support, you can reach out to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). The organization provides free, confidential support to sexual assault victims. Call RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE) or visit the anti-sexual violence organization’s website for more information.
© 2023 PMC. All rights reserved.