Johnny’s duo KinKi Kids‘ “Aitai, Aitai, Aenai” shoots to No. 1 on the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100, dated Dec. 17 to 23, with 187,143 copies sold.
The new single co-written by Japanese R&B pioneer Toshinobu Kubota and singer-songwriter Daisuke Mori topped physical sales, look-ups and Twitter mentions, while also faring well in radio airplay (No. 21), indicating that support from loyal fans boosted the track to the top spot this week.
Daichi Miura‘s “Blizzard” rises 11-2 on the Japan Hot 100, accumulating points in a balanced way. The theme song of the animated film Dragon Ball Super: Broly comes in at No. 2 for airplay, No. 3 for Twitter, No. 5 for physical sales and video views, No. 8 for downloads and look-ups, and No. 14 for streaming.
“Blizzard” is off to a better start than Miura’s long-running hit “EXCITE,” released in January 2017, so it looks like the singer and dancer has another lasting hit on his hands.
While DA PUMP and Kenshi Yonezu‘s hit songs remain in the top five, J-pop singer Uru‘s “Prologue” rises 10-6 this week after leading downloads for the first time since charting on the Japan Hot 100 eight weeks ago. The theme of the TV drama Chuugaku Sei Nikki is gaining traction in streaming as well, although the series ended recently, so the song maintains momentum to rise further up the chart in the coming weeks.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, Recochoku provided by Gfk Japan, streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Dec. 17 to 23)
1.  Aitai, Aitai, Aenai / KinKi Kids (187,143 copies / none / none?
2.  Blizzard / Daichi Miura (23,011 copies / 11,716 downloads / 777,277 streams)
3.  U.S.A. / DA PUMP (3,833 copies / 12,539 downloads / 1,488,078 streams)
4.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (4,432 copies / 23,515 downloads / none?
5.  Flamingo / Kenshi Yonezu (3,679 copies / 24,417 downloads / none)
6.  Prologue / Uru (4,442 copies / 33,491 downloads / none)
7.  Konya Konomama / Aimyon (none / 11,104 downloads / 2,446,374 streams)
8.  Pop Virus / Gen Hoshino (none / 10,206 downloads / none)
9.  Old Fashion / back number (1,683 copies / 24,265 downloads / none)
10.  Ambivalent / Keyakizaka46 (21,916 copies / 3,140 downloads / 545,797 streams)
[ ] : Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)