J-pop boy band Kanjani 8‘s 43rd single, “Tomoyo,” bows at No. 1 on this week’s Billboard Japan Hot 100, dated Nov. 25 to Dec. 1, with 269,512 copies sold. The now five-member Johnny’s group dominated the physical metrics this week, coming in at No. 1 for sales and look-ups, which counts the number of times a CD is ripped to a computer.
“Tomoyo” is currently being featured as the theme song of an ongoing drama series starring Johnny’s heartthrob Toma Ikuta, and sold over 50,000 copies more than Kanjani’s previous single, “crystal,” did in its first week. The song also came in at No. 2 for Twitter mentions.
King Gnu breaks its own record for highest position on the Japan Hot 100 for the second week in a row, rising a notch to No. 3. Downloads for “Hakujitsu” doubled from 9,219 units last week to 18,984 this week, while streams also increased again from 3,364,140 to 4,105,260 and video views from 3,259,298 to 4,007,455.
The four-man band racked up points in five metrics except radio airplay, and although there’s still a bit of a gap between it and Official HIGE DANdism‘s “Pretender,” “Hakujitsu” is steadily closing in on the long-running hit song.
Veteran singer-songwriter Tatsuro Yamashita soars 54-4 with “RECIPE,” the theme of Grand Maison Tokyo, a drama series starring J-pop star Takuya Kimura. The song topped the radio airplay metric this week after two weeks at No. 2, and garnered points in a balanced way overall: No. 5 for look-ups, No. 6 for downloads, and No. 13 for physical sales.
Meanwhile, Christmas season is on in Japan, and Yamashita’s holiday classic “Christmas Eve” is inching its way back up the charts again. While still not back in the Japan Hot 100, the song is charting at No. 86 for downloads and No. 58 for video views already, and is set to accompany Yamashita’s new song “RECIPE” in the following weeks of December.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups, audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, dHits, Uta Pass and Spotify, plus karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Nov. 25 to Dec. 1)
1. [-] Tomoyo / Kanjani 8 (269,512 copies / none / none)
2.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 16,703 downloads / 5,759,011 streams)
3.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 18,984 downloads / 4,105,260 streams)
4.  RECIPE / Tatsuro Yamashita (9,485 copies / 16,359 downloads / none)
5.  Yesterday / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 6,799 downloads / 3,844,017 streams)
6.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 6,513 downloads / 3,652,023 streams)
7. [-] New Romantic Sailors / Guilty Kiss (33,043 copies / 4,532 dowloads / none?
8. [-]Fuyuzora / Sandaime J SOUL BROTHERS from EXILE TRIBE (none / 18,815 downloads / 1,087,642 streams)
9. [-] Geki! Teikokukagekidan <Shinshou> / Sakura Amamiya (CV: Ayane Sakura), Hatsuho Shinonome (CV: Maaya Uchida), Azami Mochizuki (CV: Hibiku Yamamura), Anastasia Palma (CV: Ayaka Fukuhara), Claris (CV: Saori Hayami) (none / 37,566 downloads / none)
10.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 5,342 downloads / 2,427,717 streams)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)