A lawyer for Jussie Smollett is asking a judge in Chicago to allow the Empire actor to travel while he is free on bond on charges he falsely reported being attacked by two masked men.
Anne Kavanagh is a spokeswoman for Smollett’s attorneys, who have said he’s innocent. She says one of his attorneys is expected to appear before a judge Monday (Feb. 25) to make the request.
Smollett was charged last week with disorderly conduct. Chicago police say Smollett, who is black and gay, staged the attack then told police his attackers yelled racial and anti-gay slurs and referenced President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan.
He was released last week after posting $10,000 cash. He also was ordered to surrender his passport. Kavanagh says Smollett’s lawyers are mounting a “vigorous defense.” Smollett reportedly returned to the Empire set last week, but after initially voicing their strong support for the actor and saying his future on the show was secure, producers announced last week that Smollett’s character would be written out of the final two episodes of the upcoming season, which kicks off on March 13; spokespeople for the show would not comment on whether any changes would be made to the already shot episodes featuring Smollett.