I Am ‘Woman’
The career of Dolly Parton will be celebrated in grand fashion this week with Sugar Hill’s all-star, all female tribute album “Just Because I’m a Woman.” The collection features Parton’s songs recorded by the likes of Norah Jones, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Shania Twain and Sinead O’Connor, as well as a new recording of the title track by the honoree herself.
Krauss appears on two tracks, turning in a solo version of “9 to 5” and joining Union Station and Twain on a take of “Coat of Many Colors.” Other Parton classics rendered are “I Will Always Love You” by Melissa Etheridge, “Jolene” by Mindy Smith and “The Seeker” by Shelby Lynne.
Tackling newer Parton fare are Jones and O’Connor, the latter a self-professed Dolly fanatic. O’Connor performs “Dagger Through the Heart,” from last year’s Sugar Hill album “Halos and Horns,” while Jones performs “The Grass Is Blue,” from Parton’s 1999 Sugar Hill set of the same name.
Jones and Parton will duet on the latter tune at the 37th annual CMA Awards, set for Nov. 5 at Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry House.
- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Pinit
- + additional share options added
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Email
- Print this article
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Tumblr
I Am ‘Woman’
Billboard is a part of Penske Media Corporation. © 2023 Billboard Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.Powered by WordPress.com VIP
optional screen reader