=LOVE (“Equal Love”) bows at No. 1 on the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100, dated Oct. 28 to Nov. 3, with “Zuruiyo Zuruine,” the J-pop girl group’s sixth single. The song leads physical sales with 177,296 copies sold and tops this week’s tally fueled mainly by this metric.
Johnny’s boy band Arashi celebrated its 20th anniversary by making its entire catalog available for download on Sunday (Nov. 3), the day of the group’s debut. The chart week of the Japan Hot 100 starts from Monday and ends on Sunday, so by ordinary standards, the group wouldn’t have hit the charts until the following week.
Arashi, however, is no ordinary group, and its first-ever digital single, “Turning Up,” was downloaded 29,599 times in just five hours to break into the top 10 with only Twitter mentions (No. 7) added to the total. The five-man supergroup has eight songs charting on the Japan Hot 100 this week, and it looks like Arashi is more than ready to take the charts by “storm,” just like its namesake.
Meanwhile, Official HIGE DANdism continues to dominate the list with “Pretender” at No. 2, “Yesterday” at No. 3, and “Shukumei” at No. 4. Downloads and streaming for these songs are gradually slowing down, but remain strong enough to keep the songs hovering near the top of the chart for the foreseeable future.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Oct. 28 to Nov. 3)
1. [-] Zuruiyo Zuruine / =LOVE (177,296 copies / none / none)
2.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 14,623 downloads / 6,068,668 streams)
3.  Yesterday / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 9,225 downloads / 4,749,762 streams)
4.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 7,818 downloads / 4,189,083 streams)
5.  Uma to Shika / Kenshi Yonezu (2,982 copies / 25,180 downloads / none)
6.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 9,174 downloads / 3,386,336 streams)
7. [-] Ah Osaka dreamin’ night / Dotsuitare Honpo (none / 18,391 downloads / 1,809,927 streams)
8.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 6,321 downloads / 2,638,095 streams)
9. [-] RILY / RYUJI IMAICHI (37,343 copies / none / none)
10. [-] Turning Up / Arashi (none / 29,599 downloads / none)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)