Heeding to vocal opposition to his plans, Philadelphia celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman has canceled the upcoming match between rapper DMX and George Zimmerman, the acquitted killer of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin.
Feldman said on Saturday that he was “done” with Zimmerman and decided the “major payday” was not worth it. “I know no one else would walk away like I did,” he announced on Twitter.
In comments to Rolling Stone, Feldman admitted he erred in choosing Zimmerman as one of his “celebrity” boxers. “I looked into the eyes of my son and daughter today and couldn’t imagine someone killing them and getting off scot-free. It just really hurt.”
He said that he could have made two million dollars with the fight, “but at least I have my dignity.”
It’s an abrupt turnaround for Feldman, who a day earlier told Philadelphia Magazine that he would not budge. “I’m not quitting this,” he said. “People want me to quit. I would never do that. This is the opportunity of a lifetime. It’s entertainment, man.”
In a tone deaf move, Feldman announced the match on Feb. 5, which would have been Trayvon Martin’s 19th birthday. Zimmerman shot and killed the teenager in his Florida neighborhood after following him as he walked back from a convenience story.
Though DMX expressed desire to “beat the living f–k out out of” the former neighborhood watchmen in comments earlier this week, the troubled rapper never officially signed on for the fight, scheduled to take place March 15 at an undetermined location. A press conference set for Tuesday — which presumably would have laid out details for the match — was canceled on Friday after it was determined Zimmerman would not attend.