BBE Music announced Friday (Jan. 8) that it will release a David Bowie tribute compilation album called Modern Love this spring. The announcement arrives on the same day as what would have been the pop star’s 74th birthday and shortly before the fifth anniversary of his death on Sunday.
Modern Love honors Bowie’s lesser-known contributions to soul, R&B, jazz, funk and gospel with reimagined covers of his songs performed by Jeff Parker, We Are KING, Meshell Ndegeocello, Helado Negro, Khruangbin, Matthew Tavares, L’Rain, Nia Andrews and more. Music executive and DJ Drew McFadden and BBE Music founder Peter Adarkwah curated the project, which found inspiration from the prominent jazz influences heard in Blackstar, his final album from 2016.
“I felt that the connection between Bowie and R&B, jazz, funk, gospel and all things soulful, had never really been explored before — at least not so much in covers, which tend to lean more towards rock and pop,” McFadden said in a press release. “Certainly, there’s been plenty of Bowie covers over the years, but none that have really tapped into what seems to have been a big part of his core musical style and direction.”
In conjunction with the news, We Are KING released its cosmic cover of “Space Oddity,” the late English singer-songwriter’s No. 15 Billboard Hot 100 hit from his eponymous 1969 album.
“There were so many amazing Bowie compositions to choose from but ‘Space Oddity’ has always been our favourite,” Amber and Paris Strother of We Are KING said in the release. “It’s so visual; it has always felt like time travel in a song. It tells such a vivid and imaginative story of Major Tom’s trip through space and it was such a cool experience to reimagine what it’d be like on the voyage.”
Modern Love will arrive on May 28. Album pre-order will be available in February.
Listen to We Are KING’s “Space Oddity,” and check out the album’s track list below.
Modern Love track list:
1. “Life on Mars” by Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
2. “Sound & Vision” by Healdo Negro
3. “Lady Grinning Soul” by Kit Sebastian
4. “Soul Love” by Jeff Parker and The New Breed feat. Ruby Parker
5. “Panic in Detroit” by Sessa
6. “The Man Who Sold the World” by The Hics
7. “Right” by Khruangbin
8. “Silly Boy Blue” by Nia Andrews
9. “Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family” by Foxtrott
10. “Move On” by L’Rain
11. “Tonight” by Eddie Chacon & John Carroll Kirby
12. “Modern Love” by Jonah Mutono
13. “Where Are We Now” by Bullion
14. “Fantastic Voyage” by Meshell Ndegeocello
15. “Heroes” by Matthew Tavares
16. “Space Oddity” by We Are KING