You saw will.i.am’s Lego hat while you were in your living room chilling on the couch — but what did people at the 2010 American Music Awards catch behind the scenes at the Nokia Theatre in downtown Los Angeles? Here, Billboard gives you the scoop on 10 things you didn’t see on TV:
1. Olympic skater Johnny Weir, a judge on the upcoming show “Skating With the Stars,” dished that contestant Vince Neil was a competitive ice skater when he was a kid. He added that none of the competitors on the show were “terrible” — so no fun for you, skater haters.
4. Lance Bass skipped the side of the red carpet where the press was lined up, instead opting to run down and give high-fives to the side where the shipped-in fans were standing.
5. The last two people to dash down the red carpet after the show started at 5 p.m. Los Angeles time? Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj, two ladies who were obviously trying to be fashionably late. Literally.
6. Talking about the Black Eyed Peas’ group dynamic, will.i.am said: “I don’t think we look like this as a group; we look at this like a family. If we were a group, we would have broken up by now…but families stay together.” As soon as he finished speaking, the rest of the Peas started fake crying.
7. Michael Bublé on how he prepared to get married: “I took myself to lots of movies I didn’t want to see.”
9. “Hannah Montana” star Mitchel Musso rolled up to the AMAs in a Mercedes Benz, but forgot one thing: to get it washed. He says he’ll be happy if Santa gives him a detailing job for Christmas.