AKB48’s 57th single, “Shitsuren, arigato,” blasts in at No. 1 on this week’s Billboard Japan Hot 100, dated March 16 to 22, with a record-setting 1,414,077 copies sold, making them 2020’s first act to sell over a million copies in its first week.
The J-pop girl group leads physical sales and rules this week’s chart fueled mostly by this metric. The single comes in at No. 6 for look-ups, No. 18 for radio airplay, No. 20 for Twitter mentions, and No. 75 for downloads.
AKB48 has consistently exceeded the million mark with their first-week sales: In reverse order from their previous release, “Sustainable,” which sold 1,628,184 copies, “Jiwaru Days” sold 1,404,936 copies, and “NO WAY MAN” sold 1,350,736 copies, so the figures for “Shitsuren, arigato” can be described as standard for the popular girl group, reflecting the actual size of its core fanbase.
Official HIGE DANdism’s “I LOVE…” drops to No. 2, marking its fourth time in the slot, but the figures for streaming, downloads and video views continue to grow. Weekly streams for the single rose from 8,859,135 to 9,756,788 times this week, breaking its own record again, as well as setting the record for biggest streaming week for a song, while downloads rose from 40,620 to 48,112 units and video views from 10,220,539 to 11,426,979 plays, also breaking its own record.
Rising singer-songwriter Uru’s “Anata ga irukotode” was featured as the theme of recent drama series Ship of Theseus, and the song had been gradually climbing the Japan Hot 100 as the complex time-traveling mystery neared the end. The track breaks into the top 10 this week for the first time at No. 9, coming in at No. 5 for downloads, No. 14 for streaming, No. 15 for video views, No. 50 for airplay, and No. 58 for Twitter.
HIGE DAN’s “I LOVE…” was also featured as the theme of a popular drama series, and its performance improved dramatically after the series ended. Uru’s song could also follow this route in the coming weeks.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups, audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, dHits, Uta Pass and Spotify, plus karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated March 16 to 22)
1. [-] Shitsuren, arigato / AKB48 (1,414,077 copies / none / none)
2.  I LOVE… / Official HIGE DANdism (6,472 copies / 48,112 downloads / 9,756,788 streams)
3.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 19,583 downloads / 6,740,197 streams)
4.  Gurenge / LiSA (2,435 copies / 18,254 downloads / 4,709,130 streams)
5.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 9,827 downloads / 5,506,749 streams)
6. [-] Cheat Time / A.B.C-Z (45,006 copies / none / none)
7.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 6,767 downloads / 4,023,503 streams)
8.  Yesterday / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 4,128 downloads / 3,886,844 streams)
9.  Anata ga irukotode / Uru (none / 16,291 downloads / 2,311,205 streams)
10.  Mirai wa minaide / THE YELLOW MONKEY (none / 38,261 downloads / none)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)