Nostalgic for the days of Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC? Look no further — courtesy of former boy-bander Lance Bass himself. Mentored by Bass (who makes a brief appearance in the group’s debut music video), Heart2Heart is here to knock out 98°, O-Town and the other boy bands who came before them a decade ago. Or maybe not? We’re still waiting for the punchline at the end of the “Facebook Official” video. Watch below, and check out five things you need to know about Heart2Heart.
1. “Facebook Official” is Heart2Heart’s debut single. The lyrical depth of a track about making your relationship legitimate via Facebook spans with lines such as, “I like your status, two thumbs up / I met you last week when you played flip cup” and “Status update, what / Checking out pics of your butt.” It doesn’t get much realer than that.
2. The group seems to model themselves off a K-Pop boy band structure with each member taking on different role, as well as having an assigned leader. Heart2Heart’s members include leader and producer Chad Future, “Swag General” Pretty Boi Pete, vocalist/sub-rapper/actor Brayden, lead vocalist/acrobat Nico, and lead dancer/choreographer KX.
3. Despite having a choreographer, acrobat and “Swag General,” the group finds themselves struggling to stay together (especially the General) while dancing in the “Facebook Official” video. Case and point: There’s an announced “dance break,” despite no actual dancing.
4. The group is managed by Nick Reed with Vendetta Studios. Reed has a long history of making celebrity parody videos seen from his website, often with Bass making appearances — like this karaoke version of the Black Eyed Peas’ “The Time (Dirty Bit).”
5. Which leads us to… The verdict is still out on whether the group is intended as a parody. No official statement has been given, despite an already released mini-album and the big-time product placements in the high-budget music video for “Facebook Official.”
Rebecca Black, watch your back.