If you’ve watched the music video for Romeo Santos’ new single “Imitadora,” you’ve seen him look lean and buff, both in and out of that fitted cotton shirt.
How does he do it?
Prior to the release of Golden, which is shaping up to be another chart-topper, we caught up with Santos, who told us all about his very healthy workout and eating habits. And although abs require dietary discipline, our favorite bachatero still finds time to indulge once in a while.
1. Eat often, but eat well: Santos eats every three hours, on the clock. “My first meal when I wake up is five boiled eggs, egg whites and a slice of whole wheat bread. The following meal would be [a sandwich made with whole wheat bread and an apple]. Then, I eat a bar. After that, I’ll have a protein shake, and then my last meal is two pieces of chicken breast, no salt, nothing, just very grilled. It’s not the best-tasting meal. With broccoli and brown rice, certain portions. I do this Monday through Thursday, sometimes Monday through Friday, if I have something where I need to look really lean.”
2. Allow yourself to indulge: While Santos sticks to his eating plan Saturdays and Sundays during the day, at night, he pigs out, which translates to eating “Anything! If I want to have a burger, if I want to have pasta and stuff my face. Whatever, as long as it’s those two days.”
3. Cut back on the alcohol: No, Romeo is not on the wagon, but he doesn’t drink heavily. “I will drink alcohol socially. That’s really on the weekends.”
4. Run like the wind: Santos runs roughly 3 miles a day, three days a week. On Thursdays, he gives his body a rest, and Fridays he’ll put in 7 or 8 miles. “I run in the West Side highway. I’ve gotten recognized, but unless you’re a runner, you really can’t do nothing but just point.”
5. Know your limits: Santos loves boxing as a sport. But does he box as a workout? “Boxing is a really difficult sport! So I don’t want to tell you I wouldn’t try it, but I guess everybody that does know about it, my friends, they tell me how difficult it is, and I’m like, ‘Eh.’ I don’t know if I want that in my life right now.”