Who knew 2017 would be dominated by a song in Spanish? This feat was achieved thanks to Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee‘s “Despacito” (with a push from Justin Bieber), which conquered the music industry in an unimaginable way to the point that on Tuesday (Nov. 28), it received three Grammy nominations: record of the year, song of the year and best duo or group performance.
The nominations come at a time when Fonsi is ready to move on with his new single “Echame La Culpa” with Demi Lovato, a song that is already scoring its own records, like debuting at No. 47 on the Billboard Hot 100 and charting two songs simultaneously.
But the nominations aren’t Fonsi’s only achievements this year. Below, find 20 achievements by the Puerto Rican singer in 2017:
On the Billboard charts with “Despacito”:
3. Broke the record for most weeks at No. 1 on the Streaming Songs chart (16 weeks).
4. Broke the record for most weeks at No. 1 on the Digital Song Sales chart (17 weeks).
5. Spent 19 weeks at No. 1 on the Latin Airplay chart. Only five songs have spent more time at No. 1.
6. Spent five weeks at No. 1 on the all-genre Radio Songs chart.
7. No. 1 on Billboard‘s 2017 Songs of the Summer chart.
On the Billboard charts with “Echame La Culpa” (so far):
8. “Echame La Culpa” debuted on the Hot 100 at a higher position than “Despacito.” The worldwide hit “Despacito” debuted at No. 88 (chart dated Feb. 4) and reached No. 1 in its 17th week on the chart (dated May 27), while “Echame La Culpa” debuted at No. 47 (chart dated Dec. 9).
9. Also, “Echame” debuted at No. 3 on Hot Latin Songs and at No. 1 on Latin Digital Song Sales.
10. The “Despacito” video is the most-streamed video in YouTube history, with more than 4 billion views. The clip won a Latin Grammy for best short-form music video.
11. Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee are the first Puerto Rican artists with a U.K. No. 1 single since Ricky Martin’s “Livin’ La Vida Loca” (August 1999).
12. “Despacito” is the longest No. 1 song ever on the Swiss and German charts.
13. Performed on The Voice’s season finale on NBC with Daddy Yankee.
14. Won four Latin Grammys, including record of the year and song of the year.
15. Performed “Despacito” on Ellen and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
16. Luis Fonsi was honored with a star on the Walk of Fame in Ayia Napa, Cyprus.
17. “Despacitio” is a platinum record in 24 countries and a diamond record in 14 countries.
18. Won two American Music Awards: collab of the year and favorite song pop/rock.
19. “Echame La Culpa” debuted at No. 1 on iTunes in more than 30 countries and No. 1 in five countries on Spotify, and its music video surpassed 120 million views in one week.
20. Nominated for three Grammy Awards.
In these tumultuous times we are living in, where dividedness abounds, I am beyond happy and proud that a song in ESPAÑOL is nominated in three major categories at the 60th GRAMMY awards. Let’s continue sharing our beautiful culture and roots with the world. There is no better time than now. QUE VIVAN LOS LATINOS Y NUESTRA MÚSICA. @daddyyankee @justinbieber @erikaender @recordingacademy #Despacito