Cinco de Mayo celebrations commemorate the Mexican army’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, a celebratory holiday the U.S. has adopted as a day of fiesta.
If you’re planning a Cinco de Mayo party, we’ve put together a Spotify playlist of 10 songs with lots of orgullo mexicano that will definitely get the festivities started. Enjoy!
1. “El Noa Noa” – Juan Gabriel
You can count on Juan Gabriel’s classic party anthem to get everyone on the dance floor.
2. “Amor A La Mexicana” – Thalía
This pop cumbia celebrates everything and anything that is Mexican.
3. “México Lindo” – Mariachi Vargas de Tecatitlan
A good mariachi song is necessary for a great Cinco de Mayo party.
4. “Mi Ranchito” – Roberto Tapia
This ranchera song will make you feel as if you were actually in Mexico.
5. “México En La Piel” – Luis Miguel
This song has Mexican pride written all over it! “A good tequila from this country, that’s how you feel Mexico in your skin.” Viva Mexico!
6. “Botellita De Tequila” – Pepe Aguilar
Tequila shot, anyone?
7. “Jefe De Jefes” – Los Tigres del Norte
Leave it to Los Tigres del Norte’s power anthem to get everyone on the dance floor feeling like a jefe (boss).
8. “Que Me Entierren Con La Banda” – Jenni Rivera
A love song dedicated to banda music, sung by the one-and-only Jenni Rivera.
9. “El Rey” – Vicente Fernández
After a couple of margaritas, Vicente Fernandez’s “El Rey” is perfect for karaoke!
10. “Tragos Amargos” – Ramón Ayala
Because a real Mexican party always ends with Ramon Ayala’s “Tragos Amargos!”