After months of anticipation, The Highwomen have dropped their debut single “Redesigning Women.” A song of female empowerment, the folk-tinged country track was written by the group’s Natalie Hemby with Rodney Clawson.
“‘Redesigning Women’ is the life most women are living today,” Hemby says in a statement. “We juggle so much in 24 hours and I wanted to write a song that reflected the goodness, the madness and the hilarity of it all.”
This hilarity is brought to life in a three-minute video for the track, also released today (July 19), which stars the Highwomen alongside several of their female friends including Lauren Alaina, Kassi Ashton, Cam, Lilly Hiatt, Wynonna Judd, Catie Offerman, Cassadee Pope, Erin Rae, Raelynn, Natalie Stovall, Tanya Tucker, Anna Vaus and Hailey Whitters. The clip, which has the band hosting a bonfire hang, was directed by Elizabeth Olmstead and produced by Revolution Pictures.
The supergroup is made up of Hemby, Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris and Amanda Shires, and in addition to the reveal of their lead single, the band has announced that their forthcoming self-titled debut album will be released Sept. 6. The project was produced by Dave Cobb, who at an event hosted at Nashville’s Country Music Hall of Fame last month praised the new song. “I think this song represents four badass women that cannot be contained,” he said.
The Highwomen’s forthcoming album track list is below.
1. “Highwomen” (written by Brandi Carlile, Amanda Shires, Jimmy Webb)
2. “Redesigning Women” (written by Natalie Hemby, Rodney Clawson)
3. “Loose Change” (written by Maren Morris, Maggie Chapman, Daniel Layus)
4. “Crowded Table” (written by Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Lori McKenna)
5. “My Name Can’t Be Mama” (written by Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Amanda Shires)
6. “If She Ever Leaves Me” (written by Amanda Shires, Jason Isbell, Chris Thompkins)
7. “Old Soul” (written by Maren Morris, Luke Dick, Laura Veltz)
8. “Don’t Call Me” (written by Amanda Shires, Peter Levin)
9. “My Only Child” (written by Natalie Hemby, Amanda Shires, Miranda Lambert)
10. “Heaven Is A Honky Tonk” (written by Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Ray LaMontagne)
11. “Cocktail And A Song” (written by Amanda Shires)
12. “Wheels Of Laredo” (written by Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth, Phil Hanseroth)