Ahead of unveiling the track list for his upcoming third studio album Heartache Medication, Jon Pardi invited Nashville media to his property for a listening party on Wednesday (May 29).
In his newly finished barn just outside Music City, Pardi, alongside members of his record label, introduced the new project, which will be released Sept. 27.
“I promise you that nobody has stressed over the dilemma of album number three more than the guy to my left right here,” Universal Music Group Nashville chairman and CEO Mike Dungan told the room as he recalled conversations with Pardi about the project. “‘What do I do? Do I back off? Do I make it country? How can I make it different? I don’t want to make the same record again.’ Along the way he kept saying, ‘It feels pretty good, but it’s even more country than the last one.’”
Dungan said upon listening to Heartache Medication, he thinks it’s “a complete masterpiece.” “Those of us who have had a chance to listen to this and had a chance to live with it have been divided into different camps. Everyone seems to have their own favorite [song],” he added. “It’s telling me we have a record that is going to go on in history and be talked about for a long time.”
Pardi then addressed the room, admitting that he is still nervous when discussing the album.
“I named it Heartache Medication because it talks about sad topics, but it makes you feel good at the same time,” he said. Pardi further explained that the project also includes love songs and that the album goes “great with beer and good times.”
He added, “I’m really proud of it. I’m really proud of all the session players, the songwriters that delivered great songs. I wrote half the record and Nashville stepped in and wrote the other half, and I’m very proud of that. I think everybody’s going to love it.”
Pardi had a hand in co-producing the project alongside Bart Butler and Ryan Gore. The album includes “Don’t Blame It on Whiskey,” a stirring collaboration with Lauren Alaina penned by Eric Church and Miranda Lambert, and the infectious “Me and Jack,” bound to be a staple in Pardi’s live show.
A complete track list for Heartache Medication is below.
1. “Old Hat” (Jeff Hyde, Matt Jenkins and Ryan Tyndell)
2. “ Heartache Medication” (Jon Pardi, Barry Dean and Natalie Hemby)
3. “Nobody Leaves A Girl Like That” (Bart Butler, Marv Green and Jimmy Yeary)
4. “Ain’t Always The Cowboy” (Brandon Kinney and Josh Thompson)
5. “Me And Jack” (Jon Pardi, Rhett Akins, Bart Butler and Luke Laird)
6. “Don’t Blame It On Whiskey (Featuring Lauren Alaina)” (Eric Church, Michael Heeney, Luke Laird and Miranda Lambert)
7. “Tied One On” (Bart Butler, Chase McGill and Jamie Paulin)
8. “Oughta Know That” (Jon Pardi, Bart Butler and Luke Laird)
9. “Tequila Little Time” (Jon Pardi, Rhett Akins and Luke Laird)
10. “Buy That Man A Beer” (Clint Daniels, Justin Lantz and John Pierce)
11. “Call Me Country” (Jon Pardi, Bart Butler and Driver Williams)
12. “Just Like Old Times” (Jon Pardi, Jeff Hyde and Michael Heeney)
13. “Love Her Like She’s Leaving” (Bart Butler, Dean Dillon and Jessie Jo Dillon)
14. “Starlight” (Jon Pardi, Bart Butler and Jeffrey Steele)