Cole Swindell may prefer his Georgia Southern University baseball cap to any cowboy hat, but he’s a bona fide country artist through and through, with three singles to reach No. 1 on the Country Airplay Charts and a featuring spot on Florida Georgia Line‘s nationwide tour.
Cole’s latest album, You Should Be Here, shows no signs of a sophomore slump, with the titular lead single topping both the Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs charts. Cole is premiering an acoustic version of his latest single “Stay Downtown,” the flipside of 2014 single “Hope You Get Lonely Tonight,” right here on Billboard.
“[I’m] so proud to have this song on my album,” Swindell says of “Stay Donwtown.” “It’s like a continuation of ‘Hope You Get Lonely Tonight’ but with a different twist. Sometimes enough is enough and you have to tell them to stay downtown.” Cole urges a would-be lover to stay downtown and keep moving her heels on the dance floor to avoid him, as he himself tries to avoid a night of regret.
In addition to premiering the acoustic “Stay Downtown,” Swindell took time to share with Billboard some of his favorite tracks and songs he’s written. Check out his can’t-miss playlist below, with notes on a few of the songs from the man himself.
1. Thomas Rhett — “Get Me Some of That”: This was my first #1 as a song writer thanks to TR!
2. Cole Swindell — “You Should Be Here”
3. Florida Georgia Line — “This Is How We Roll”
4. Luke Bryan — “Roller Coaster”: So thankful Luke Bryan was able to cut this song I wrote. It will always have a special place in my heart.
5. Eric Church — “These Boots”: One of my all time favorites from the Chief!
6. Florida Georgia Line — “H.O.L.Y.”: I seriously can’t stop listening to this song! It’s going to be HUGE!
7. Lonestar — “Amazed”: This is the song that helped me figure out I could actually sing after doing it in a karaoke bar! Ha
8. Kenny Chesney — “Don’t Happen Twice”: This was in every one of my set list coming up in the college bars and I still cover it to this day!
9. Brooks & Dunn — “Red Dirt Road”
10. Cole Swindell — “Middle of a Memory”
11. Alabama — “Song of the South
12. George Strait — “Check Yes or No”
13. Tim McGraw — “Don’t Take the Girl”
14. Reba McEntire — “Fancy”: Reba…that’s all I really have to say!
15. Alan Jackson — “Chattahoochee”: Singing this with Alan Jackson last year at the ACM’s was absolutely incredible, I’ll never forget it!
16. Matchbox Twenty — “3AM”
17. Shenandoah — “Moon Over Georgia”
18. Tim McGraw — “Everywhere”
19. Walk the Moon — “Shut Up and Dance”: This is just a feel good song that I can listen to on repeat before a show.
20. Justin Timberlake — “Drink You Away”: I started covering this song this year because let’s be honest, everyone loves some JT!