Some of Broadway and music’s biggest stars are teaming up for Singing You Home, a bilingual children’s album designed to benefit organizations that aid families separated at the border.
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Josh Groban, Idina Menzel, Laura Benanti, Kristin Chenoweth, Ingrid Michaelson, Mandy Gonzalez, Audra McDonald, Jason Robert Brown, Cynthia Erivo, Isabella Preston and Ana Villafañe have all contributed to the album.
Benanti was the mastermind behind the seven-track project, which supports non-profit Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services in addition to Artists Striving to End Poverty. The actress and singer reached out for help after being upset by the images of children in cages.
“I texted all of these amazing people and said, will you do it and they texted me back in like one second,” Benanti said during a Late Show appearance Thursday (Oct. 18). “It’s really been a labor of love.”
Benanti explained that the album’s cover art — depicting a house, tree and clouds — was drawn by a boy who was detained from his parents. While he has been reunited with his family, they are still reportedly incarcerated.
The album features a range of children’s music including a few traditional Spanish songs. It releases Oct. 26, and 100 percent of the proceeds will go to RAICES and ASTEP.
Check out the track list and Benanti’s Stephen Colbert appearance below.
Singing You Home Track List
1. “Arrorró Mi Niño” – Laura Benanti & Isabella Preston
2. “Singing You Home” – Audra McDonald & Jason Robert Brown (a new song written by Jason Robert Brown for the album)
3. “Cielito Lindo” – Lin-Manuel Miranda & Mandy Gonzalez
4. “Lullaby” – Josh Groban & Idina Menzel (written by Josh Groban, Dave Matthews & Jochem Van Der Saag)
5. “Beautiful Dreamer” – Kristin Chenoweth (written by Stephen Foster)
6. “Si Pudiera Leer Tus Sueños” – Cynthia Erivo (written by Luis Pescetti & Maria Pien)
7. “Twinkle Twinkle” – Ingrid Michaelson & Ana Villafañe