Ponytails have always been a staple for summertime, and finding ways to take your pony up a few notches can be hard, so for Billboard Style‘s Beach Week, we enlisted the help of IGK Hair Care co-founder and influential hairstylist Franck Izquierdo to show us six ways to amp up this easy ‘do, inspired by some of our favorite celebs.
The Messy Pony (The J.Lo):
“This is a great pony for after a workout because it doesn’t need to be perfect to look good,” Izquierdo says. To create this look, refresh your roots with Jet Lag Invisible Dry Shampoo and brush through from roots to ends. Then, spray Beach Club Volumizing Texture Spray about 6 inches away from the head to give overall volume and texture. Use your hands to construct your high pony, leaving the roots a little undone and messy. For mid- to long-length hair, once secured with an elastic, apply more of the Beach Club Texture Spray and work through with your fingers to create the fun, messy look you’re trying to achieve.
The Slicked-Back Pony (The Kim K.)
For a sleek, “wet” look, Izquierdo likes to mix Mistress Anti-Frizz Leave-In Conditioner and Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel together, “using a combination of 70 percent Mistress and 30 percent Rich Kid. Mistress will allow you to create the wet look while Rich Kid gives you hold and memory.” Apply from roots to ends of the hair and comb (don’t brush) through. “You can do this as a high or a low pony, but just need to be sure that hair stays smooth along the head and that the elastic is tight for a firm hold. Once your pony is secured, use a small section of the hair to wrap around the elastic and secure. This will hide the elastic and give you a more sophisticated look,” Izquierdo says. To finish, apply more of the mixture on the lengths of the pony and smooth down your ends.
The High Pony (The Ariana Grande)
“For a high pony, you’ll want the roots and hair along the head to be smooth and the ponytail to have fun, undone texture,” Izquierdo says. Start by applying Down & Out Dirty Spray from mid-lengths to ends of hair to create piecey texture and grip. Use a brush or comb and pull your hair upward, placing the pony on top of your head. The higher the pony, the better. Once secured with an elastic, apply Laid Back DeFrizz and Anti-Static Spray to reduce frizz and smooth down flyaways from hairline. Finish by working Down & Out through the lengths of the ponytail to add even more texture.
The Low Pony (The Sophia Richie)
“One of my personal favorites,” Izquierdo says. “This pony should look sleek along the head but be casual and textured in the ponytail.” To achieve, apply Rich Kid Coconut Oil Air-Dry Styler from roots to mid-lengths of the hair, avoiding the ends. Comb through and gather hair at the nape of your neck. Tightly secure with an elastic, ensuring hair along the head is smooth and sleek. Apply Beach Club Volumizing Texture Spray to the ponytail lengths to add texture and create a cool, floating look.
“This pony can be done as a low, high or mid-height ponytail. I prefer to do it mid-height, securing the hair in the center of the head,” Izquierdo says. To start, apply Down & Out Dirty Spray from roots to mid-lengths to add more texture and grip to the hair, which will give the braid more hold. Without using a comb or brush, pull hair back into a pony, using your fingers to comb through. Secure your pony at any height, ensuring you have enough length in the tail to do a braid. Section 70 percent of hair, leaving the remaining 30 percent off to the side. Braid the larger section and tie off with an elastic. Braid the remaining 30 percent and tie around base of pony to hide elastic. Finish with Laid Back DeFrizz and Anti-Static Spray to reduce flyaways.