Sony BMG Spain held on to its physical music market lead in 2006, despite a strong challenge from Universal Music Spain, according to figures released Friday (Feb. 2) by labels' body Promusicae.

Sony BMG claimed a 27.53% share of the market -- up slightly on its 27.22% share in 2005 -- while Universal Music took 25.87%.

Universal's market-share takes into account its subsidiary Vale Music, the country's biggest independent label which it acquired in June 2006.

In 2005, Universal achieved a 16.94% share while Vale had 10.96%, for a combined total of 27.9%.

Promusicae last month (Dec. 17) declared that Spanish music sales slumped in retail value in 2006 by 15.3% to €345 million ($445 million), compared to €407 million ($525 million) in 2005. But a label breakdown was held back while final figures were gathered.

According to Promusicae's figures, EMI Spain climbed from 4th to 3rd spot in 2006 with a 19.14% market share, up from 15.69% in 2005. Warner Music Spain slipped from 2nd to 4th place with an 18.64% share, which was only one point below its 2005 share of 19.70%.

The 5th spot, which had been held by Vale Music, is now held by Barcelona-based dance music label Blanco Y Negro, which achieved a 3.24% share. Barcelona-based Vale had also started out as a dance label before it began issuing albums in 2001 related to the hugely successful reality TV show Operación Triunfo.

EMI Spain was leader in the 2006 music DVD chart with a 29.26% market share, which Promusicae says was partly due to 25,000-plus sales of the year's top selling music DVD, Pink Floyd's "P.u.l.s.e." (EMI). Universal Music Spain was 2nd in the music DVD chart, with a 25.89% share, followed by Sony BMG with 25.22% and Warner Spain with 16.31%.