With Mondays taken for mixtapes and Fridays all about new album releases, Spotify is tapping Wednesdays for a new series of original, in-house recordings. "Singles" launches today with 20-plus top artists who have recorded an original track (a-side) and a cover song (b-side) at Spotify's own recording studio in NYC.
The first batch features John Legend pairing his song "Love Me Now" with Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On," Grouplove's "Welcome to Your Life" with Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee," and Local Natives' "Fountain of Youth" with Kanye West's "Ultralight Beam," among others. Each Wednesday, the songs will appear as a playlist (in your Browse section) and individually wrapped (under New Releases).
Spotify also says it is working with artists on a live performance series called "Live." The most fervent fans will be invited to attend the performance, "creating another way for artists to connect with fans," the company says in a statement.
Like "Singles," the "Live" series will have its own section under "Browse."
Spotify plans to add 100-plus “Singles” in the next year. Here's what the playlist has so far:
- John Legend: Love Me Now/What's Going On
- D.R.A.M.: Cash Machine/Special
- Tove Lo: cool girl/What I Want for the Night
- The Naked and Famous: Higher/Young Blood
- Group love: Welcome to Your Life/One More Cup of Coffee
- LEON: Thinking About You/Dreams
- Local Natives: Fountain of Youth/Ultralight Beam
- Aoife O'Donovan: Stanley Park/Lakes of Pontchartrain
- Coast Modern: Guru/Cute
- Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam: The Morning Stars/Mr. Tambourine Man
- Juanes: Fuego/Es Por Tr
- Lewis Del Mar: Painting (Masterpiece)/Needed Me
- Margaret Glaspy: Emotions and Math/Ex-Factor
- Shovels & Rope: I Know/El Paso
- Spencer Ludwig: Diggy/Frontin'
- GRiZ: What We've Become/Gotta Push On
- Andrew Bird: Roma Fade/Green Wine
- Caitlyn Smith: Before You Called Me Baby/(You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman
- Lindsey Stirling: Something Wild/7 Years
- Kale: Way Down We Go/All the Pretty Girls
- Esperanza Spalding: Unconditional Love/If You Can See Me