If it were up to music fans on Instagram, who would be taking home a Moon Person at the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards? For the first time ever, the social media platform is sharing data with Billboard that aims to find out.
Instagram pulled the total global number of stories, captions and comments that have mentioned each nominated track and artist in the time since nominees were announced in July to determine its rankings. Based on this data, DJ Khaled's "Wild Thoughts" with Rihanna and Bryson Tiller leads the running for the prestigious video of the year award, Lorde is the frontrunner for artist of the year and SZA clinches best new artist.
The social media platform is the latest digital company to release data surrounding the VMAs, following YouTube and Spotify, which are also waging bets for each award category based on video views and song streams.
The MTV Video Music Awards will air live from The Forum in Inglewood, Calif., on Aug. 27 at 8 p.m. ET.
Read the full list of winner predictions according to Instagram data, below.
Video of the Year
1. DJ Khaled feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller, "Wild Thoughts"
2. The Weeknd - “Reminder”
3. Bruno Mars - "24K Magic"
Artist of the Year
2. Ariana Grande
3. Ed Sheeran
Best New Artist
3. Young M.A
1. Shawn Mendes - “Treat You Better”
2. Harry Styles - “Sign of the Times”
3. Ed Sheeran - "Shape of You”
Best Hip Hop
1. Migos feat. Lil Uzi Vert - “Bad & Boujee”
2. D.R.A.M. ft. Lil Yachty - “Broccoli”
3. DJ Khaled feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne - “I’m the One”
1. Twenty One Pilots - “Heavydirtysoul”
2. Green Day - “Bang Bang”
3. Coldplay - “A Head Full of Dreams”