Donald Trump may be getting lambasted left and right for comments he made about Mexicans and Latin Americans during his presidential bid speech earlier this month, but the mogul-turned-candidate is anything but apologetic.
In an interview with Noticiero Telemundo co-anchor Jose Diaz Balart on Thursday, Trump went on the defensive with the aggressiveness of a bulldog and, often, the demeanor of a pouty child, alleging breach of contract at every turn.
Univision pulling out of the Miss USA pageant agreement? Breach of contract. J Balvin canceling his Miss USA performance? Never signed a contract in the first place.
Would he really build a wall? Hell yeah.
In reference to Balvin -- who on June 24 declined to perform on Miss USA -- Trump went for broke: “And by the way, that singer that you're talking about, we never signed that signer. And I don't even think we were going to sign. That singer used people like you for getting free publicity."
Díaz Balart didn’t look too convinced with this one. “Right. He's a big name in the Latino community, and I invite you to listen to his music. I bet you you'd like it,” he said.
“Well, he's, I -- yeah, he's so big. You know how big? You know how big a name he is? I never heard of him. That's how big a name,” Trump stammered. “Frankly, I never heard of him and I don't think he's very good, from what I've heard. He wouldn't have done it anyway.”
Balvin's management countered that claim to Billboard: “We had a confirmed performance with the Miss Universe organization, with numerous emails in our possession including their discussions of travel logistics, production details such as repertoire, promotional spots on NBC, and a request from the publicity department earlier this week to announce J Balvin publicly as a performer. Any suggestion to the contrary is inaccurate and insulting."
Beyond Balvin, who is very much a David to Trump’s Goliath, there’s everyone else.
Trump accused Univision of “violating” and “defaulting” on a five-year contract because he was honest about trade and the border. More noteworthy, according to Trump, “Univision called me and they apologized for what they're doing because they felt so stupid and so guilty.”
“Who called you?” asked an incredulous Diaz Balart.
“I'm not going to say. You'll see it in the lawsuit. Because we have a very big lawsuit against Univision,” said an indignant Trump. “They have an ironclad contract to broadcast Miss USA and Miss Universe. They have an ironclad contract. They can't just do this. So they did it and they called me this morning, the -- like a little, like a little lamb. So, 'Oh Don, we shouldn't, oh, I...' -- they're apologizing to me for what they're doing, because what they're doing is wrong.”
It didn’t stop with Diaz Balart. Earlier Friday (June 26), ABC posted a letter (below), allegedly from Trump to Univision CEO/President Randy Falco, banning Univision and its employees from using the Trump National Doral in Miami.
“Please be advised that under no circumstances is any officer or representative of Univision allowed to use Trump National Doral, Miami -- its golf courses or any of its facilities,” reads the letter. “Also, it’s too bad you didn’t have the courage to call me yourself instead of delegating the task to Beau,” adds Trump, referring ostensibly to Beau Ferrari, EVP of Operations.
Univision had no comment.