Kacey Musgraves' sophomore album is ready for its close-up: Pageant Material is due June 23 (via Mercury Nashville) and reunites her with co-producers Shane McAnally and Luke Laird, the same team behind her 2013 Grammy-winning breakout Same Trailer, Different Park.
Featuring 13 tracks all co-written by Musgraves, the album is an homage to the throwback sound of the 26-year-old singer's heroes -- including Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Willie Nelson, the latter of whom makes a surprise cameo. Pageant Material is available for pre-order here.
"The majority of Pageant Material was recorded live -- which was a bit of a departure from Same Trailer -- and gave it more of a concise, classic sound," Musgraves says in a statement. "All of the incredible musicians were in the same room playing on the entire record, and I think that spirit comes across. The last couple of years have done so much for me, and this project was really affected by that in the best way. There are certain moments lyrically that still hit me hard even after listening so many times. It's a great glimpse into where my head is from Same Trailer to now."
Lead single "Biscuits," which debuted in March, has been making a steady climb on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, rising to No. 35 on the May 18 chart. Like the CMA Award-winning "Follow Your Arrow" before it, the song is an anthemic love-thy-neighbor square dance, with cheeky lyrics that present a unique challenge to winning over the all-important stakeholders at country radio.
"What Kacey does fundamentally is very country -- if anything, it's a little right-of-center for the country radio format," UMG Nashville chairman Mike Dungan told Billboard earlier this month. "Kacey's going to be everywhere we can place her, and we feel we have the right first single [with 'Biscuits']. It just has an up, happy vibe, similar to John Denver's [1975 hit] 'Thank God, I'm a Country Boy.'"
And though Musgraves recently co-wrote a Wizard of Oz-inspired song with her 2014 tourmate Katy Perry, Pageant Material's collaborators are limited to much of the same team behind Same Trailer, including Laird, McAnally, "Follow Your Arrow" co-writer Brandy Clark and "Merry Go Round" co-writer Josh Osborne as well as new collaborators Natalie Hemby and Ashley Arrison.
Pageant Material track list:
1. "High Time" (Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally)
2. "Dime Store Cowgirl" (Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally)
3. "Late to the Party" (Kacey Musgraves, Brandy Clark, Josh Osborne)
4. "Pageant Material" (Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally)
5. "This Town" (Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Brandy Clark)
6. "Biscuits" (Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Brandy Clark)
7. "Somebody To Love (Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
8. "Miserable" (Kacey Musgraves, Josh Osborne, Brandy Clark)
9. "Die Fun" (Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally)
10. "Family Is Family" (Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
11. "Good Ol' Boys Club" (Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Natalie Hemby)
12. "Cup of Tea" (Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
13. "Fine" (Kacey Musgraves, Ashley Arrison, Shane McAnally)