Paris Hilton Issues Apology for 'Misapplied' Donald Trump Sexual Assault Comments
Paris Hilton has apologized for her controversial remarks about the women who have accused Donald Trump of sexual assault that appeared in a recently published Marie Claire profile, claiming what she said in the interview was "misapplied almost a year later."
On Tuesday (Aug. 15), magazine contributor Irin Carmon tweeted an excerpt of her interview with Hilton, in which the socialite and DJ offered, "I think that they are just trying to get attention and get fame ... They want to get money or get paid to not say anything or get a settlement when nothing really happened. So I don't believe any of that."
In the interview transcript, Hilton also brushed off Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" comment, heard on a taped conversation with Access Hollywood's Billy Bush that came to light ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Of her longtime family friend's remarks, she said, "I've heard guys say some pretty crazy things. Like, worse than that. So I think that when someone doesn't realize they're being filmed or recorded, they say things. Especially with a guy."
"I want to apologize for my comments from an interview I did last year," Hilton said in a new statement on Thursday. "They were part of a much larger story, and I am regretful that they were not delivered in the way I had intended. I was speaking about my own experiences in life and the role of media and fame in our society, and it was never my intention for my comments to be misapplied almost a year later."
She continued: "I always believe in helping women have their voices heard and helping create an environment where women feel empowered and believe in themselves. I am deeply hurt by how this has played out and also deeply sorry. Moving forward I will continue to do what I can to be an advocate for girls and women with the hopes of providing a louder voice for those who may desperately need it."