Takeover Tuesday: Hear A.J. McLean's Love & Unity Playlist
A.J. McLean is back (alright!). The Backstreet Boys-Spice Girls reunion tour of dreams may still be up for debate, but that hasn't stopped McLean from making music or feeling like part of a collective group. In his “Live Together” playlist, McLean emphasizes the importance of self-love and unity. Below is a sample of the full list along with McLean's notes, written in his own words.
1. A.J. McLean - “Live Together”: This is a song I wrote about people coming together as a society and finding a way to learn how to live and love one another.
2. The Beatles - “Come Together”: It’s not a typical “love” song, but it stresses the importance of community and finding a common ground with anyone we meet.
3. John Lennon - “Imagine”: This is one of the first songs that comes to mind for me when I think about messages of hope in music. It’s sad, honest, and real but filled with a whirlwind longing for a better world.
4. Various Artists - “We Are The World”: There are so many legendary artists on this one track! It’s a true testament to what we can do when we come together with a positive purpose.
5. Michael Jackson - “Heal The World”: This song is inspirational -- not just the music, but the message behind it. We should always be seeking ways to improve the world we live in.
6. Marvin Gaye - “What's Going On”: Marvin Gaye’s voice is timeless, and this song is a great reminder that we are what we put out into the world, a reminder to be selfless and caring.
7. Deon Jackson - “Love Makes The World Go Round”: This is one of those tunes that instantly lifts your mood and one of Motown’s greatest love songs.
8. The Beatles - “All You Need Is Love”: It doesn’t get more true than this: love in all of its forms.
9. Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons - “Can't Take My Eyes Off You”: There are so many gorgeous versions of this song, but they all share the same incredible sentiment of unconditional love.
10. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole - “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”: This is a beautiful, hopeful song to begin with, but something about Israel’s version is just magical -- the soul, the feeling, the vibe.
11. Katy Perry - “Firework”: This is a beautiful track about self-love in the face of self doubt.
12. Maroon 5 - “She Will Be Loved”: The lyrics in this song say it all -- love isn’t always easy, but it’s almost always worth it.
13. Modern English - “I Melt With You”: This is one of those songs that, no matter where you are, makes you stop and think about that one person who makes everything alright.
14. Peter Gabriel - “In Your Eyes”: I love how the words and music reflect each other, making this song a lasting classic.