Takeover Tuesday: Hear the Songs That Inspired Conrad Sewell's EP 'All I Know'
So what did Australian up-and-comer Conrad Sewell jam out to while creating his very first EP, All I Know? The soulful “Hold Me Up” singer and “Firestone” vocalist shared his inspirations with Billboard for this week's Takeover Tuesday in a delightfully diverse playlist featuring artists from Lauryn Hill to Led Zeppelin.
1. Kanye West – “All Falls Down”: This was the first time I fell in love with Kanye's production. Ever since this song came out, I've been a massive fan of his work, and he continues to inspire me musically to this day.
2. D'Angelo – “Untitled (How Does It Feel)”: This record really made me want the album to have a soul vibe and keep the instruments as real as possible. Everything you hear on my record is done with real players.
3. Michael Jackson – “Man In The Mirror”: It's no secret that Michael is one of my biggest influences, and this is one of my faves. The vocal delivery is everything.
4. Gladys Knight & The Pips – “Midnight Train To Georgia”: My mother used to play this song all the time when I was a kid. I fell in love with it, and the soul in her voice has always inspired me.
5. Simply Red – “Stars”: One of my favourite songs. This guy's voice is perfect, and I've always wanted to write a song with a soaring melody like this.
6. John Mayer – “Belief”: John Mayer has been a huge influence on me from a very early age, and this song has my favourite guitar solo of his. His lyrics and melody will always inspire me.
7. The Weeknd – “Can't Feel My Face”: I think this song was one of the best pop songs last year. It came out while I was recording my EP and inspired me a lot.
8. The Killers – “When You Were Young”: I love rock music, and The Killers are one of my favourite bands. This song is amazing.
9. Arctic Monkeys – “When The Sun Goes Down”: I'm a huge fan of Alex Turner’s lyrics. He and the band are great.
10. Train – “Drops Of Jupiter”: This song reminds me of the ‘90s and early 2000s. It’s a great pop song that I've always wished I wrote.