Mixture rock group King Gnu's long-running hit song "Hakujitsu" returns to No. 8 after seven weeks on the tally, boosted by the band's talked-about acoustic performance on the late-night radio program hosted by vocalist Satoshi Iguchi last week, as well as the recent release of its latest number "Hikoutei."
J-pop singer-songwriter Gen Hoshino surprise-dropped his entire catalog on streaming services on Friday (Aug. 30). While three days weren't enough to catapult his past hits back into the top ranks of the Japan Hot 100 ("Pop Virus" climbed the highest this week at No. 80), this and three other songs -- "Koi," "Idea," and "SUN" -- have appeared in the top 100 on the streaming tally, and have more than enough potential to continue ascending on both lists.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Aug. 26 to Sept. 1)
1. [-] koi-wazurai / King & Prince (385,303 copies / none / none)
2.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 18,424 downloads / 5,964,237 streams)
3.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 17,959 downloads / 4,214,822 streams)
4.  DREAMERS / GENERATIONS from EXILE TRIBE (35,876 copies / 4,227 downloads / 931,366 streams)
5.  Uma to Shika / Kenshi Yonezu (none / 51,427 downloads / none)
6.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 9,455 downloads / 2,806,368 streams)
7.  Paprika / Foorin (2,827 copies / 13,887 downloads / 2,172,729 streams)
8.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 8,282 downloads / 2,823,822 streams)
9.  Machigaisagashi / Masaki Suda (none / 9,218 downloads / 2,527,733 streams)
10.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (2,628 copies / 12,594 downloads / none)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)