Kazuya Kamenashi Lands First Solo No. 1, Masaki Suda Debuts at No. 2 on Japan Hot 100
KAT-TUN member Kazuya Kamenashi scores his first solo Billboard Japan No. 1 with "Rain," which blasts in at the top spot on this week's Japan Hot 100 chart, dated May 13 to 19. The theme song of the crime drama series Strawberry Night Saga starring Kamenashi and actress Fumi Nikaido leads physical sales with 142,328 copies sold.
The first solo single by the popular Johnny's group member also rules two other metrics of the chart's methodology: look-ups, which counts the number of times a CD is ripped to a computer, and Twitter mentions, which counts tweets containing both song title and artist name.
The top 3 was dominated by drama and movie theme songs this week, with actor/singer Masaki Suda's new single, "Machigaisagashi," also debuting at No. 2. The theme of the drama series Perfect World sold 114,355 units and leads downloads this week. The song comes in at No. 14 for Twitter and No. 19 for radio airplay.
At No. 3 is Official Hige dandism's "Pretender," featured as the theme song of the Japanese movie The Confidenceman JP. The pop-rock ballad by the four-member band rises 8-3 on the Japan Hot 100, bowing at No. 9 for physical sales with 12,914 sold, while climbing 13-2 for downloads, 8-2 for streaming, and soaring 82-11 for video views.
The songwriter and producer of Suda's "Machigaisagashi" is hitmaker Kenshi Yonezu, who is set to release "Umi no Yuurei" (meaning "Ghost of the Sea"), to be featured as the theme of the upcoming animated feature film Children of the Sea.
Trailers of the film teasing bits of the song are being dropped leading up to the movie's release in theaters June 7, reinvigorating views for "Lemon" as well. The digital release of "Umi no Yuurei" on June 3 will likely greatly influence the performance of the multi-hyphenate's catalog on the Japan Hot 100.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated May 13 to 19)
1. [-] Rain / Kazuya Kamenashi (142,328 copies / none / none)
2. [-] Machigaisagashi / Masaki Suda (none / 114,355 downloads / none)
3.  Pretender / Official Hige dandism (12,914 copies / 22,333 downloads / 2,831,825 streams)
4.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 13,818 downloads / 3,433,490 streams)
5.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 13,059 downloads / 2,825,420 streams)
6.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (2,409 copies / 15,434 downloads / none)
7.  Harunohi / Aimyon (1,163 copies / 13,115 downloads / 2,266,841 streams)
8. [-] Ishi / HKT48 (47,051 copies / none / none)
9.  FANCY / TWICE (none / 2,578 downloads / 1,978,450 streams)
10.  I Don't Care / Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber (none / 8,667 downloads / 1,952,159 streams)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)