One N' Only Launches at No. 1, Man With a Mission at No. 7 on Japan Hot 100
J-pop boy band ONE N' ONLY's "Dark Knight" debuts atop the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100 chart, dated May 6 to 12, blasting in at No. 1 during another slow week of single sales with 79,450 copies sold.
The group is the joint project between EBiSSH and Satori Shonendan, which are boy bands affiliated with EBiDAN, the company of young actors that produced the popular groups DISH// and Bullet Train (Chotokkyu).
ONE N' ONLY's previous single "I'M SWAG" sold 37,760 copies during its first week, so "Dark Knight" has more than doubled that number. The single leads the physical sales metric this week and tops the Japan Hot 100, basically powered by this metric alone.
Last week's No. 1 song, Aimyon's "Marigold," continues to lead streaming but falls to No. 2, while the singer-songwriter's other hit single "Harunohi" leads look-ups, but also dips 3-4. Both songs slipped down this week due to loss of points in other metrics.
TWICE's "FANCY" leads video views for the second week in a row, but also decreases in terms of views from 5,130,854 to 4,524,575 this week. Kenshi Yonezu's "Lemon" holds at No. 2 for the metric, but also falls slightly from 4,825,386 views to 4,358,521. The downward trend of the songs by these familiar faces in the Japan Hot 100 top 10 suggests that changes might be in store as the year almost reaches the halfway point.
Meanwhile, MAN WITH A MISSION launches at No. 7 with "Remember Me," and Official Higedandism gains 20-8 with "Pretender," both songs breaking into the top 10 before they've been released in physical form.
"Remember Me" is the opener for the ongoing Fuji TV drama series Radiation House, airing in the popular "getsu-ku" Monday 9 p.m. time slot. The latest release by the masked wolf-rockers leads downloads with 37,384 units sold.
"Pretender" is featured as the theme song of the Japanese movie The Confidenceman JP. The four-member pop-rock band comes in at No. 2 for radio airplay and No. 8 for streaming with 1,612,654 streams. Although in different ways, both songs are resonating with listeners ahead of their CD release and hold potential to rise further in the coming weeks.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated May 6 to 12)
1. [-] Dark Knight / ONE N' ONLY (79,450 copies / none / none)
2.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 14,012 downloads / 3,414,807 streams)
3.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (2,631 copies / 17,582 downloads / none)
4.  Harunohi / Aimyon (1,376 copies / 14,773 downloads / 2,338,221 streams)
5.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 13,226 downloads / 2,777,640 streams)
6.  FANCY / TWICE (none / 3,726 downloads / 2,307,634 streams)
7. [-] Remember Me / MAN WITH A MISSION (none / 37,384 downloads / 651,774 streams)
8.  Pretender / Official Higedandism (none / 10,452 downloads / 1,612,654 streams)
9.  Boy With Luv feat. Halsey / BTS (none / none / 1,544,881 streams)
10.  Wasted Nights / ONE OK ROCK (none / 10,975 downloads / 1,896,677 streams)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)