Johnny's WEST Blasts to Top Spot As Aimyon Holds Onto No. 3 on Japan Hot 100
Johnny's WEST's "Amenochihare" sold 165,559 copies in its first week, blasting to the top of the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100, dated April 22 to 28.
The septet's latest single surpassed first week sales of 143,651 copies cemented by "Homechigirist" -- released earlier this year -- by over 20,000 copies, leading the physical sales metric as well as Twitter mentions and look-ups, the number of times a song is ripped to a computer.
Idol girl group =LOVE's fifth single, "Sagase Diamond Lily," launches at No. 2, mainly powered by physical sales, selling 113,452 copies in its first week.
LiSA's "Gurenge," the opening theme for the animated TV series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, debuts at No. 5, topping downloads with 61,344 units, beating out Aimyon's "Harunohi," which ruled the metric the week prior.
The anime singer performed the track for the first time ever earlier this week during her sold out concert at Yokohama Arena, and announced it will be available on CD starting July 3. With the track being digitally available two months prior to the physical release, it will be interesting to see how this announcement will affect its chart performance in the coming weeks.
Breakout singer-songwriter Aimyon's latest single, "Harunohi," retreats 2-3 this week, keeping a firm grip on the Top 3 spot. Although physical and digital sales are on a steady decline, streaming is up from 2,367,696 to 2,445,302 this week as she notches her third week at No. 1 for airplay.
This is a rare feat considering Kenshi Yonezu's 2018 Billboard Japan year-end chart-topping hit "Lemon" was never able to reign atop the airplay metric, while Gen Hoshino's monster hit "Koi" -- crowned No. 1 on the year-end chart the previous year -- held the top spot for a total of four weeks (non-consecutive).
Aimyon, who has proven her strength in streaming and video views, is slowly extending her reign to more traditional metrics like airplay and look-ups, giving us a glimpse into a new and interesting marketing direction in the streaming era.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated April 22 to 28)
1. [-] Amenochihare / Johnny's WEST (165,559 copies / none / none)
2. [-] Sagase Diamond Lily / =LOVE (113,452 copies / none / none)
3.  Harunohi / Aimyon (2,801 copies / 22,046 downloads / 2,445,302 streams)
4.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 12,725 downloads / 3,440,720 streams)
5. [-] Gurenge / LiSA (none / 61,344 downloads / none)
6.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (2,963 copies / 20,253 downloads / none)
7. [-] FANCY / TWICE (none / 10,085 downloads / 2,824,188 streams)
8. [-] FAKE ME FAKE ME OUT / Da-iCE (38,882 copies / 7,067 downloads / none)
9.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 19,542 downloads / 2,107,779 streams)
10.  Boy With Luv feat. Halsey / BTS (none / none / 1,962,765 streams)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)